Saints Row IV Glow

I'd like to know how glowing bits are handled.

I guess the emissiveness is controlled inside the mesh file and emissive parts are masked via a glow map. So in order to make a non-glowing mesh glowing we'd need to edit it with a 3D mesh editor and create glow maps?!

In particular I would like to make glowing mutant/superhero eyes once we have the tools to do that.

I'm sorry for bumping this, but I guess this got drowned.

Could someone please give me a brief overview of how glow (maps) work(s) in this game? I have quite some experience modding games. Those I modded that have glow maps/emissive property meshes include Bethesda games and XCOM 2 (Unreal Engine). So, I have some basic understanding of that, but SR still seems a little obscure to me. :)

You could check out Zinyak's Cache of Wonders or Flow754's Peg Assembler for tools. Not sure about any tutorials besides Flow754's thread, regarding mesh manipulation. There is a mod, Shiny Clothes, that the author used hex editor bat file to adjust specular emission on certain wearables. It's possible you might find something with hex editor, as well. Good luck!

Could someone please give me a brief overview of how glow (maps) work(s) in this game?
Texture wise, they work pretty much like glow maps in any other game: black areas of the image don't glow at all, colored areas glow in the respective color. The problem is, that you can't simply add a glow map to any model, because they all use different shaders for their materials. Unfortunately, only a few shaders support glow maps, so even if you managed to add a glow map to a peg file (for example by using my peg assembler), it likely won't have an effect ingame. Currently the only way to edit which shaders are assigned to a model is to get an FBX file of said model and convert it with the second SDK release. Since you want to edit the eyes' shader, I recommend you open up the Maya template included in the SDK archive and remove all geometry except for the eyes. Then follow along with my tutorial to export the eyes as an FBX, assign a shader to them that supports glow maps, and add them to SRIV as a separate clothing item.

Back