Getting it to run in 2020

The second I found mod compilations for this game, I redownloaded it to give it a go. Installation instructions were quite easy, so I thought this would be simple. Well, I was kinda wrong, so here are the problems I ran into to this point and how I solved them.

My setup (everything from this forum):
My approach, problems and solutions:

At first I just installed the mod compilation "Things To Do In Steelport" as well as the newest version of Reshade (v4.6) including the preset. This resulted in several problems: stuttering, freezres in menu and crash to desktop when trying to start a new game. So here is what I did:
  1. Start by installing the mod compiliation with all the optionals you like. This does not introduce any problems for me. But the game continues to suffer from freezes and stuttering. To solve this problem proceede to the next step.
  2. Install "My Steelport Emulator". This solved the freezing, stuttering and FPS drops for me. Just follow the instructions and it should work. At this point I can play the game with no problems.
  3. As I wanted Reshade to work with the game, I searched for working versions. Someone on the forum, maybe even Admixon, mentioned version 4.3. and well, this was the key for me. So install Reshade V4.3. Now I could play the game including mods, Reshade and smooth FPS.
  • Another problem I ran into was the inability to save changes to the display settings. Display settings of SR TT are saved within the root folder in "display.ini". Removing the write lock on the file didnt work for me, so I just manually set everything to my liking. When using the mod compilation, the game launcher includes a small options menu to edit display settings. (Thank you Janson)
While writing this post I dont have that much playtime but I hope I don't run into more problems. But if I do, I'll try to update this post. I hope this helps people trying to get the game to run in 2020 (or later).

Thanks for all the effort people put into the mods and fixes for the game!

Have fun in Steelport!

Last edited:
Things To Do In Steelport Replaces the launcher of the game with one that has a built in display settings editor. That's where you must edit things in order for them to show up. Its a button near the bottom of the window.

Back