Game can't launch

I'm having problems with just launching SR4. I got it through Steam, and whenever I start up the application, it crashes before it reaches setup, telling me "Failed to create graphics device." I'm fairly certain it's a problem with DirectX, but not sure. Insofar, I haven't been able to play it once, so I'm a bit concerned that I might be having technical difficulties that an incoming patch might not be able to fix.

Now, I have done virtually everything I can think of. Updated drivers, re-installed the game, ran the driver updates in the CommonRedist folder in the game directory, delete the dll files from the game folder, deleted the dll files and validated the game cache afterwards... Roughly speaking, is there something I haven't tried?

My specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
8 Gb RAM
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6570

Minimum system requirement is a radeon HD5800 (or equivalent)
The lowest tier GPU in the 5800 series is the HD5830, so let's compare the benchmarks between the 5830 and your 6570:

HD5830: 2015 (LINK)
HD6570: 753 (LINK)

As you can see, the card that is specified as the "minimum requirement" has almost triple the performance rating of your GPU.

Here's a quick rundown of how video card numbering tends to work, since you're going to have to go shopping now.

The first digit is the generation. Nvidia had the 3000's, 4000's, 5000's, etc. After 9000's they switched to 200's, 400's, 500's, and so on. AMD has the 5000 series and the 6000 series in this instance, and the 8000's look like their newest.
The second number is the "series". For Nvidia, 8 is the standard model, the first one released, with everything below that having lower specs. I think the 9's are always dual GPU cards.
Then to specify different performance levels within a series, Nvidia adds more words like "GTS", "Ti", "Boost", and other stuff that you would have to look up.

AMD uses similar numbering. There seems to be a gradual increase in features and specs in the 8000 series: 8350, 8400, 8570, 8670, 8760, 8870, and so on.
The 8570 is (probably) going to be faster than the 6570, because it's the same series but a newer generation. It's going to target the same price point as the 6570 did when it was new, and it's going to occupy the same price/performance ratio niche that the 6570 did, for the 8000 generation.
But as you can see, it's not necessarily going to beat a 7850 or whatever. It might support some feature that the 7000 card doesn't, but then, it might not.

Generally speaking, spending more money gets you a better card, as you may expect. For gaming, i suggest aiming for at least a 6 series (Nvidia GTX 760 or AMD Radeon 8670, or maybe one from the previous generation).

Back