full color customization for vehicles

hi guys. I'm new here, and also a beginner in modding. I've been trying some basic modding and have successfully done a few tweaks on the VTOL, like better handling, automatic missile charge, stuff like that.

next step, i want to change the appearance of the vtol. like changing the color and removing the decals. but I've ran into a few problems.

firstly, the file sp_vtol01.xtbl in misc_table seems to contain the data I need to change, but the table actually isn't used in the game at all. so changing that won't do anything.

secondly, another potentially relevant file i found was sp_vtol01.cvtf_pc in vehicles_preload.vpp_pc and in vehicles.vpp_pc -> sp_vtol01_0.str2_pc (2 of the same files but in different locations). i opened these files as plain text and half of it was gibberish, half was legible data. I tried to change the legible part but one file caused the helicopter choosing screen to crash and exit, while the other one caused the vtol's preview image to not load.

if someone can shed some light on where to look or what to do, it'll be greatly appreciated =)

hi guys. I'm new here, and also a beginner in modding. I've been trying some basic modding and have successfully done a few tweaks on the VTOL, like better handling, automatic missile charge, stuff like that.

next step, i want to change the appearance of the vtol. like changing the color and removing the decals. but I've ran into a few problems.

firstly, the file sp_vtol01.xtbl in misc_table seems to contain the data I need to change, but the table actually isn't used in the game at all. so changing that won't do anything.

secondly, another potentially relevant file i found was sp_vtol01.cvtf_pc in vehicles_preload.vpp_pc and in vehicles.vpp_pc -> sp_vtol01_0.str2_pc (2 of the same files but in different locations). i opened these files as plain text and half of it was gibberish, half was legible data. I tried to change the legible part but one file caused the helicopter choosing screen to crash and exit, while the other one caused the vtol's preview image to not load.

if someone can shed some light on where to look or what to do, it'll be greatly appreciated =)
Actually that file does more than you think. Look over at black and chrome gun collection on the last page. I modified cyrus vtol with it. I took his name off the door and lettering above the cockpit and removed the frime file in the middle of the blades to make the holes bigger. Base paint is now chrome instead of white and changed the window tint to black from orange. If i find the .dds file it's associated with you wont recognize that jet. So look at that file closely and you can see the pattern in it. I won't tell you how i did it but i'll guide you in the right direction;). You and many others been wanting to modify vtols for a long time, i just found a glitch.

If you are going to mod Vtol (handling and textures) why you called thread "full color customization for vehicles"?

In the file sp_vtol01_saints_cust.xtbl there is an image file referenced dcl_saints_dlc_df.tga

If only we could find that texture file, it probably has the saints VTOL decals.

----------------------------------------------------
From the file sp_vtol01_saints_cust.xtbl
----------------------------------------------------
<Component>
<Name>SaintsPRP</Name>
<DisplayName>COMPONENT_OPTION_1</DisplayName>
<Price>0</Price>
<Buyable>no</Buyable>
<No_Backseat_Passengers>no</No_Backseat_Passengers>
<Properties>
<Texture_component>
<Material_list>Body_oneD</Material_list>