*FIXED* Constant Crash to Desktop on Startup

Okay, so apparently a patch hit yesterday on the 21st (of which I wasn't on my computer for), however the previous 2 weeks I had been playing SR4 happily. However, when I try to launch SR4 now, it crashes me to my desktop, at a different point each time, but I never make it to the main menu. (Sometimes I make it to the loading screen, sometimes to the auto-save notification, and sometimes instantly after the amd intro). It now shows the "App already running" steam notification, even though i have checked task manager, and no other application is launched while running the game until it crashes after the intros.

On a side note: I have tried every fix on the internet, updating drivers, updating direct X, validating game cache/files, removing mods, deleting appcache in steam, the only thing I haven't tried (which I really don't want to) is to completely re-install (which I have heard sometimes doesn't even work).

Another note: I couldn't attach an Event Log, since there was none, and my .mdmp is only the latest generated one (since a lot were generated as I had tried launching the game several times, obviously).

Attachments

• msinfo32.txt
    566.9 KB · Views: 2,067
  • saintsrowiv_1112095_crash_2013_10_22T5_47_48C0.mdmp
    90 KB · Views: 1,617
do you have any mods installed? This update broke some of them.

Derp, this is what happens when I'm just barely awake. I'm assuming you've also removed their associated .ASMs if they had any.

An Apple PC?!

I don't know if that's related but that's awesome. I'm going to send an email to finally justify getting myself a Mac at work.

Anyway I'll check your dump when I get into the office in the morning unless someone else beats me to it.

An Apple PC?!

I don't know if that's related but that's awesome. I'm going to send an email to finally justify getting myself a Mac at work.

Anyway I'll check your dump when I get into the office in the morning unless someone else beats me to it.
Yeah, I got a mac for college (it was a requirement) and since it has better specs than my actual windows laptop, I simply boot-camped it (installed windows operating system legally).

And I can guarantee it's not related to the issue, since I was playing SR4 for weeks previous to this 'patch' (as I take it the patch is related)

I figured there was some sort of boot camping going on.

Honestly I don't think we have anyone in QA that rolls this setup. I don't imagine it leads to all that many unique complications but hardware compatibility is a pretty big part of PC testing.

I figured there was some sort of boot camping going on.

Honestly I don't think we have anyone in QA that rolls this setup. I don't imagine it leads to all that many unique complications but hardware compatibility is a pretty big part of PC testing.
Boot camping a mac installs windows drivers and plugins to make it seem like it never was a mac, however, there are complications with BIOS, since mac uses SLIC instead (at least i think it's called that). Other than that, it doesn't effect the actual PC in any way. Though if you think it may be the thing causing a problem, I would trust you rather than my own knowledge.

We'll see what the dump says. We've got a few mystery crashes hovering around lately so it's likely one of those, but I can't wait to see the programmer's face when I tell 'em we've got a crash on a Mac.

Back