Extremelly slow performance

I recently discovered GOTR and thought i 'd give it a try. I installed SR2 (thru STEAM) and then i installed GOTR 1.9 (chose few options from the mod pack).

The game hasnt ever crashed, but it's performance is extremelly infernally creepingly nerve-pulverizingly slow. Either when Im driving or on foot, while I normally get 30 fps when hanging on a single spot, when i move there are some areas where I get a lot of consecutive stalls, some even longer than 10 seconds. And these areas are usually when there are multiple story buildings nearby. Especially happens at any air-bridge edges, downtown, university, suburbs, and the district arround ultor building. Also when i 'm flying a chopper. Havent tried it with airplane but i suppose its the same as with the chopper. However when i'm driving a jetski in an open area, i dont get any stalling, unless i approach an area with structures (even the ultor boat crib)

At first I thought they were loadings or cachings, but that's impossible because my pc is too damn good for SR2:
CPU: AMD Phenom2 x6 @ 2.8ghz
MoBo: Asus Formula 5

VGA: Asus Radeon HD6950 2gb
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 kingston hyperx
HDD: 2 ocz vertex3 in RAID0 rack

I dunno what to do, when I played SR2 last time it was on a Phenom x4 @ 2.1 with 3.2 gb ram, a Radeon HD6770 and winxp sp2 32bit and i had superior performance (i still had some stalls at downtown but it was playable).

I also tried the following:
STEPS TO MINIMIZE/ELIMINATE DRIVING LAG:

* Delete the contents of c:\windows\prefetch\
This will remove all the .pf files for all apps that Windows has learned and created over time. By doing so, Windows will no longer prefetch them into memory until it relearns that behavior.
* Reboot
* Make sure you have all other unnecessary applications and processes closed/ended like web browsers, background tasks, etc.
* Run Saints Row 2 and check the prefetch folder to make sure Windows created SR2_PC.EXE[SOME#s].pf

However, the prefetch folder was empty, and it won't create an SR2_PC.EXE[blablabla].pf file. I checked my registry and the prefetch and superfetch options are active (set to 3).
I also added the following commandline parameter to the game executable: /prefetch:1 but didnt see any difference at all.

Have you gone through the SR2 PC FAQ and tried the performance optimizations that are listed in it?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922

EDIT:
Have you also tried Powertools and trying to get the speed as close as possible? If you don't have any prefetch files in your c:\windows\prefetch then something is definitely wrong.

i ve gone through the FAQ, however i havent found anything to help me other than the prefetch thing.
One thing is that I'm not having the speed issue. That's prolly cause my cpu runs at 3.2 ghz (i was mistaken on my 1st post). That said, do I need powertools?
My prefetch folder [c:/windows/prefetch] doesn't contain ANY .pf files (yes, i did check both options to show both hidden and protected system files).

The contents of my prefetch folder are (done with command line "dir /s /a /b /og"):
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgCx_SC1.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgCx_SC1.db.trx
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgCx_SC2.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgCx_SC4.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlFaultHistory.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgAppLaunch.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlGlobalHistory.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlUAD_P_S-1-5-21-377279248-2354276689-4006706283-1000.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlUAD_S-1-5-21-377279248-2354276689-4006706283-1000.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgRobust.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\Layout.ini
C:\Windows\Prefetch\PfSvPerfStats.bin
C:\Windows\Prefetch\prefetchdir.txt
C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlFgAppHistory.db
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\Trace1.fx
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\Trace10.fx
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\Trace2.fx
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\Trace8.fx
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\Trace9.fx
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl
As you can see, there are no .pf files there.

Also, i 've disabled my pagefile cause i have 16gigs of ram (who needs paging with that much ram?)

hmmm... seems superfetch was disabled on services.msc.
I activated it and now i ll try again...

EDIT: Woah!!new .pf files were created and i still havent loaded SR2. I'm having a good feeling here...

good feeling ruined

this time stalls were less frequent by 20-30% but still the same annoying... I 'll remove the /prefetch:1 parameter from the exe and try again...

bullsh1t! I even copied SR2 files to my SSD RAID0 rack did a full defrag [auslogics disk defrag pro] but the performance is still the same.

Can you help please idolninja??

Did you install powertools like I suggested earlier, and is in the FAQ? The closer you can get SR2 running at the correct speed, the better it should run. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you.

Okay, installed powertools too. No difference whatsoever. Even the powertools osd stalls along with the rest of the game. As I said, before I dont have the known speed issue cause my cpu runs at 3.21 Ghz which is exactly the xbox360 processor speed. Should I try to reduce the game's speed lower than normal? Would that make the game more endurable?

Including powertools i ve tried everything (powertools, ssd, dx9.0c, prefetch, lowest graphics, windowed mode, even 4:3 resolutions) and I havent seen any improvement other than 20-30% less frequent stalls. Still, my old pc plays SR2 with light-years-better performance (however it's a pirated version that was installed to try SR2 out a few years ago and i dont wanna use it anymore since i now have the legal steam version).

Now, tell me sth plz, are 4Gb of ram enough to run SR2 without a pagefile? I 'm thinking of loading the whole SR2 folder on a 12Gb RamDrive. This is a trick that was suggested for SWTOR in order to minimize loading times. Since the stalls look like loadings a ramdrive should be the best solution to determine if the stalls ARE indeed loadings or some sort of CPU/GPU lag.

The engine does have one hell of a hard time trying to load assets off disk and into memory. Your idea of running the entire game off of a ramdrive is probably worth a try. Also, SR2 should run just fine with 4gb of available RAM.

Back