Saints Row IV Drunk Pedestrians

In doing a table search it appears all the drunk references are still there. The animations may have all been un-preloaded though, so you may need to add them all back to anim_files.xtbl - preload True. You may also have to change the AnimSet reference on the character to Drunk.xtbl and add specific "walk", "run", "stand" tags so that they play properly. By looking it seems there are specific drunk tags that were used and that would mean AI would have to force override the animations from "walk" to "drunk walk". But if you point the characters to specific animSets in the character tables and add the generic tag references they will play as such. You probably won't get the random vomiting though, unless maybe you override the "idle" with "ped_drunk_vmt.animx". There's a couple things to try here.

I've checked out anim_files and it appears that the drunk animation files are all set to preload = true and are included in preload_anim.vpp_pc. I don't want to make certain peds always drunk by changing the animset in character.xtbl, but rather figure out why changing the values of spawn_drunk_pct_night and spawn_drunk_pct_day in spawn_info_groups.xtbl no longer results in random peds using the drunk animations, as it did in SR3.

The specific areas thing makes it sound like it's being controlled by the map itself, in that there's only allowed "booze zones" where they can spawn, and the percentages adjust the chance of them also being spawned in those areas. Weren't the zombies the same in SR3, where off the one island they refused to spawn unless mostly forced in, and then lacked the special zombie AI?

This sounds like something someone working on the map or coding for would know about.

It looks like the code was changed to never allow drunk spawning. There's a comment saying that design and animation didn't want it for SR4. I assume animation saved some memory used for something else by not including them and design just didn't think it fit with the game, but that is just an assumption.

Damnit! Would you know of any way to get around this, or could it be patched in? Why would design and animation not even want it? To make Steelport even more boring? I don't think it was a memory issue either, as the animations and item are all still preloaded in the vanilla game, just never used. (Unless you activate the DUI cheat)

Last edited:
I don't know the reasoning behind it.

As for patching, anything is possible because we would be regenerating the executable. I'll poke around and ask a few people to see if there is some compelling reason to leave it the way it is now.

Back