Custom outfits not saving

I started playing Saints Row this weekend and have run into a weird problem: My custom-designed outfits keep disappearing after saving and reloading a game.

Details as follow: If I use one of the pre-configured outfits (e.g. "Witch", "Space Princess" etc) and save it using another name, it does stay saved. If I combine different clothes, piercings etc on my own, save the completed outfit and reload - the new outfit's name in the outfit tab is gone (although my character is still wearing the combination). The bug takes all the fun out of player customisation =(

It seems to be a rather uncommon problem; at least I could not find anything by googling. Any ideas are welcome!

My steam ID (couldn't associate it due to a server error on this site?): jabberwockyguy

Necro seemed appropriate since it's the only hit I got that was 'on point' with my issue; easier if any solution/explanation/workaround ends up here.

As stated, I've run into the same issue as the op:
My custom outfits no longer save to my savegame; they seem saved for as long as I don't reload or quit.
I realised this when I could no longer find a few of my outfits in the list, some of which I knew how I'd named them, and even those that I had saved just half an hour earlier, pre-restart. This was after I'd finished the game (story&100%).

Since then I've deleted a bunch of outfits I didn't care for (stock ones, dlc ones), but my customs still don't want to save any longer..

Now, I ran across this:
// player-created outfits
for each created outfit(32 of them):
16 character string for outfit name
19 8 byte buffers for saved outfit items
int32 number of items
uint32 pointer to display name(maybe runtime only and saved as null?)
uint32 pointer to pointer to customization item variants(runtime only?)
bool active
bool purchased
19 int32 variant ids

and this:

foreach customization possible(128):
uint32 checksum of item name
int32 variant id
uint32 enum of player slot(body=0, head hair, beard hair, eyebrows, mouth, headwear, facewear, eyewear, ear piercing, neck, bra, lower body, shoes, left wrist, right wrist, gloves, face piercing, suit, hat hair combined, privacy bar top, privacy bar bottom, parachute)

Which seem to indicate that there's a max of 32 (custom?) outfits saved, and a max of 128 total customised items saved.
Seeing how my current save holds 35 outfits, of which only a max of 10 is custom made, and I don't believe I have customised near 128 items; I'm left with just this blank stare for now..

Any ideas are welcome indeed!

This is actually due to saving the outfits when they contain DLC clothing. This is an issue that a few people experience. It happens with ALL DLC unlocks, every time a save is loaded, it 'reunlocks' DLC rewards and items. For example, completing Genkibowl will earn you the genkimobile and the sexy kitten rides, if you then add, say, 10 cars underneath them to your garage, when you reload, you'll find that the genki cars have been put at the bottom, like you just got them.

This issue is also affecting the use of the All weapons in freeroam mod, as buying the alien weapons (DLC items) will be put back in the store and out of your weapon cache upon loading the game. (This could have a workaround, i.e. making the mod preadd ALL the weapons to your cache, so you dont need to buy them)

Can somebody PLEASE shed some light on this?

Last edited:
I think this may be the same known issue that Knobby mentions in the Saints Row IV modding patch beta SDK:
  • DLC items in your wardrobe can be deleted and are not properly flagged as DLC. (This occurs in retail game)
I see this issue in Saints Row IV.

Almost the same, they're not being deleted, but simply unlocked again after loading. I'm pretty sure this could work though. I will try saving without the DLC installed, and then reinstalling. Buy the weapons and reload, see if they are gone again.

However, I would still like to know of any other possible fixes for the cars and clothing, as this is more important.

(Just a note, this is also a known issue on the 360, it happened to me when trying to save an outfit containing the angry tiger mask, at first I thought it was just my save)

EDIT: After trying the deletion and saving, it still gets rid of the weapons. Oddly enough, if you save whilst still holding them in your inventory, it keeps them :/ It is only when you have them in the cache and load the game, they are gone. I'll keep trying new things, but it would be nice to know if there is such a way to automatically add weapons to your cache upon starting the game.

Last edited:
This sound like a bug to me. It might get interesting though. We do parse through unlockables at level load time and it's possible that outfits have been read by then and we toss outfits that have locked content or something. Excellent diagnostics here, guys.

Just to be clear for me, the best way to see this is to save a custom outfit that includes dlc items, correct?

You can see the DLC 'reunlocking' issue by:

Unlocking a DLC vehicle, such as the genkimobile, aegean etc. and then adding a car to the garage underneath it. Save the game and when the save is loaded, the unlocked DLC car will be at the bottom again, like it was just unlocked.

Saving an outfit to your wardrobe which contains clothing from the following: Witches And Wieners, Genkibowl VII, or Gangstas In Space. Upon loading the save, the outfit should be removed, and only the separate clothing items remain in the wardrobe.

Finally, using a mod that allows the use of DLC weapons, such as the mentioned All weapons in freeroam mod, will cause any non unlockable DLC guns to disappear if they are in your cache when you load the game.

In short, my theory is that upon loading a save, the game completely refreshes all of your DLC content, causing unlocked items to be reunlocked, and any DLC items, such as guns, deleted as you cannot normally get these.
The outfit issue, is again, caused by this, because the game will readd the DLC clothing, causing the DLC items in the outfit to be deleted and replaced by the new ones that have been readded.

Last edited:
Yes, this is how I can reproduce it consistently in Saints Row IV.

I'm seeing the exact problem that Ultor describes here:

This problem frustrated me to no end when I first encountered it because I really liked the outfit I assembled but I couldn't save it. :(

Same here, I feel your pain. I've made countless outfits using items from both games only to find them gone. Hopefully a fix for this will be posted soon.

From my knowledge, I know that the cause of this is because it readds your DLC stuff. If you want to, please try the DLC vehicle unlock I mentioned above, and you'll see why I made my assumption.

This doesn't just affect the outfits, but those are by far the most important thing to sort out for now.

Regarding the weapons: The workaround for this, is to save your game WHILST HOLDING the DLC weapons that you want to keep on your quick switch, this makes them stay when you load :)

Back