Crash when trying to load weapon mod.

For the past few days I've been working on two weapon replacements, a Rat Stick replacement and an SMG replacement. But every time I try to preview them in-game, it crashes when I load the save (or when I enter the weapon cache if I don't have the weapon equipped). Naturally I thought there was something wrong with my meshes at first, but then out of curiosity I tried packaging the Impaler included with the SDK, and the game still crashed!

The contest is out the window since I don't hope to get a reply before the deadline, but I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to what I was doing wrong. I've uploaded my version of the packaged Impaler (unaltered).

Thank you.

Attachments

• packaging.rar
    452.5 KB · Views: 222
Usually, if the game crashes while loading, you can safely assume that there's something wrong with the ASM_PC files. Looking at your mod, it seems the converter didn't properly update your ASMs. Are you using the latest version of the converter? You can download it here if you don't: https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/sriv-sdk-release-b-clothing-item-tools.14707/

Anyways, a quick fix for your issue would be to update the ASMs manually with Minimaul's tools, specifically the Stream2 tool. Quick step-to-step guide:
1) Put your STR2 and ASM files into a folder called "mods" inside your Saints Row IV root folder.
2) Open the command prompt with SHIFT + LEFT CLICK somewhere in the folder where you put Minimaul's tools in and select "Open command window here" from the context menu.
3) Enter this command:
Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow-rev121>ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2 "C:\YOUR_PATH\Steam\SteamApps\common\Saints Row IV\mods\main_streaming_weapons.asm_pc" update
4) Then this:
Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow-rev121>ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2 "C:\YOUR_PATH\Steam\SteamApps\common\Saints Row IV\mods\items_containers.asm_pc" update
5) And this:
Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow-rev121>ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2 "C:\YOUR_PATH\Steam\SteamApps\common\Saints Row IV\mods\items_preload_containers.asm_pc" update
6) Done. Open Saints Row IV and enjoy your updated model.

By the way, the scale and rotation of the impala are off by a long shot, try switching between "Force 3dsMax Zup, In" and "Force Maya Yup, Cm" in the converter's settings to fix that. Hope this helps!

I reinstalled the SDK from the provided link, didn't work.

And the first command opens up a window asking me what program I want to open the tool with.

EDIT: Nevermind, had to add .exe at the end of the filename, otherwise the system thinks .stream2 is the file type. I'll let you know if it worked.

EDIT: Yep, that did it. Thanks a lot.

Since you're here, can you tell me what I have to do to make a mag fed shotgun? Currently I'm using the SMG template, since the Pump-Action Shotty doesn't have a mag mesh. It's basically an SMG that looks like a shotgun...

Last edited:
I guess the easiest way would be to replace an SMG costume and then reassign the costume to a different weapon. For that you have to copy weapon_costumes.xtbl from patch_compressed.vpp_pc to your mods folder and change a value with notepad. Let's assume you're replacing the Tommy Gun SMG costume, then you need to scroll down to the costume entry starting with
Code:
<Name>SMGLarge-1-Thomas</Name>
and change the <weapon_entry> variable from "SMG-Gang" to "Shotgun-Gang".

I see. Anyway my first test didn't go very well...

94576E6764E2F7E298B538DE4C09CA89F8D29E6C

The lack of texture and weird size are intended for now,. problem is the mesh didn't render completely. I'm assuming that's because I used a multi-part mesh? Any idea how to merge them into one piece? I tried Mesh > Combine but that doesn't seem to actually "wield" them together, just link them.

Any idea how to merge them into one piece? I tried Mesh > Combine but that doesn't seem to actually "wield" them together, just link them.
Try deleting any non-deformer history after doing the Mesh > Combine operation. Just click Edit > Delete All by Type > Non-Deformer History to do so, that should merge those pieces for good. In my experience, Maya sorta undoes any changes on your model upon exporting if the edit history still exists.

Edit: Keep in mind that the magazine needs to be a separate object though.

Edit: Keep in mind that the magazine needs to be a separate object though.

Yeah I know. Thanks a lot.

Say you wouldn't happen to know what timezone this contest is in? I'm willing to pull an all-nighter and make it presentable if I still have time.

I think it's in Romeo, so you still have about 10 hours. Keep in mind that porting a costume replacement to the Workshop format so it doesn't replace a costume but rather add a new one is quite a bit of work and it's poorly documented. I'll be here if you need any help though.

Yeah I hit a wall when trying to merge the meshes. I've merged them, split away the mag and re-positioned it, but I get an error when I try to export saying it can't process the main mesh. So I try deleting the non-deformer history and I get this error:

//Error: Line 1: The -prePostDeformers Flag is not supported with the following node(s) in the history: -polyUnite1

PolyUnite1 is the merged mesh, haven't renamed it yet.

EDIT: Deleting all History and re-rigging fixed it.

Last edited:
I'm grasping at straws here but you could try to click Edit > Delete All by Type > History. That really deletes the entire history, along with the vertex weights, meaning you'll have to bind the mesh to the bones again.
Edit: If it still doesn't work, feel free to send me your maya scene file, so I can have a look at the issue

Back