Saints Row 2 Chunk_pc

[GoSP] Jon

Screw you all
So, what are these? It's my understanding that they're some sort of level file for various zones in the world, but I have yet to understand how they work or why they aren't just like the table files seen elsewhere.
Are they cooked geometry? Item placement? Some crunched combo of both like Cvtfs?
Any info on the file format would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jon

Minimaul asked for the format specifically earlier. It is super dense and I haven't gotten the will to trawl through the code and figure out all the parts that make it up. This could be because I'm not familiar with SR2 since I wasn't on the project or it could be that I'm lazy. :)

This I can somewhat answer though since it is hand wavy and doesn't require too many specifics. The chunk_pc file is a loadable part of the world. It is what is needed for a physical chunk of the world. This includes the level geometry, level collision, sidewalk data, traffic splines, world objects, textures, etc. I say etc, but it really is probably just the tip of the iceberg. This is a massive monolithic file full of all kinds of things.

Minimaul asked for the format specifically earlier. It is super dense and I haven't gotten the will to trawl through the code and figure out all the parts that make it up. This could be because I'm not familiar with SR2 since I wasn't on the project or it could be that I'm lazy. :)

This I can somewhat answer though since it is hand wavy and doesn't require too many specifics. The chunk_pc file is a loadable part of the world. It is what is needed for a physical chunk of the world. This includes the level geometry, level collision, sidewalk data, traffic splines, world objects, textures, etc. I say etc, but it really is probably just the tip of the iceberg. This is a massive monolithic file full of all kinds of things.
So they are comparable, basically, to Unreal Level packages then? Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Back