Can Steam users sell each other games?

Jusy wondering on this; my frien has dead island and skyrim both of which he dont bother with anymore; just wondering if steam allows the swapping of his licenses to me (for a cash fee I will pay to him)

Steam just announced Steam Family Sharing, which should go into beta next week.

Essentially, a user can authorize sharing their games library (up to 10 devices) with a friend or family member and they will be able to download and play the user's games, as long as the user is not playing it currently. If the friend is currently playing and the user launches the same game, the friend will be prompted to quit and/or buy the game. (basically means user cannot coop or multiplayer with the friend.)

More details can be found here in their faq: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing

Last edited:
Cheers for the answers guys; sucks you cant do it but hey; maybe eventually eh? :)

Cheers for the answers guys; sucks you cant do it but hey; maybe eventually eh? :)

That's what the EU govt is trying to accomplish, which the US govt isn't doing.
Because currently, you don't "own" the game, not even a license, thus the inability to trade or resell what you buy.

I recall hearing something about somebody planning to sue over this issue regarding iTunes. No idea whether that went anywhere.
It was rumored Bruce Willis at one point, wasn't true. I think someone else has actually tried. Hasn't been much progress yet, if they did.

Back