Saints Row: The Third Alignment rules of the files.

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your and Volition's support of the modding community. I have so many questions but I'll wait until we get some more info from yourselves before I ask them.

Anyway I wanted to ask about the alignment of the data in the files. Am I right in the assumption that the files are basically memory dumps of the computer's memory and that any data alignment follows the rules of the compiler that you used? I'm guessing you used Visual C++ to build the code that creates the files. (I'm pretty sure the alignment rules are consistent between all the different versions of VS).

Again thank you, what you are doing is amazing.

It depends on the file and the format as to alignment requirements. GPU texture data is 4k aligned on the xbox 360, but only 16 byte aligned on PS3 for example. Is there a specific file format for which you are interested in alignment information?

No particular file format. I noticed when decoding the texture file formats (for the pc) that the texture data was aligned to 16 bytes. However I'll wait until you guys let us know more about the file formats.

It is usually just dictated by the data we are putting in the file, which I guess in turn is dictated to us by hardware/drivers.

Back