A question about copyright -- putting 'Saints Row' stuff in another work

Hey Saints Row people! Hope everyone's doing OK. I have a question about copyright if y'all don't mind.

See, I'm writing a YA book and the opening features my characters playing, well, Saints Row. It's mainly to set the tone, they're college-aged buddies having fun, etc. During this sequence, one of my characters (who is probably too young to be playing this game with her cousin and his friends) asks about Shaundi and why she looks so pissed off, and that her character (a big-busted woman) could probably take her on in a epic fight. To which my MC says, “Yeah, go pick a fight with her, see where that ends for Madame Barcelona (the young girl's character).” It's a short, brief sequence, only there to set the tone and the mood of the story. The plot doesn't revolve around the video game series or Shaundi. It's just to show my characters having some fun.

I just wanted to know if this was a big NO-NO before I put it in. I love this series, I like the company for making the series, so I don't want to piss anyone off by putting in a mention of Saints Row or a brief discussion about Shaundi. If this is a big NO-NO, and you'd rather I not do this, I won't put it in the story. I'll have them play some fictional game that I made up.

Anyway, that's all I was going to say. :D Just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes.

Why are you asking for permission to briefly mention a video game in your book? There are plenty of books about video games and I'm pretty sure that their authors weren't running around asking every single company if they can talk about their game - here you don't even describe it in any way, you're just mentioning Shaundi. Why would this require some special permission? :confused:

I just wanted to make sure I didn't step on any toes, that's all. :D I suppose so long as I mention within the passage somewhere and in a logical fashion that it was created by Volition, I should be OK. I just want to make sure I'm not risking plagiarism if I have my characters play Saints Row and talk about it for a bit.

Back