Is the protagonist a mutant/superhuman and artificially created in a lab?

Before we go any further I'd like to clear out that I won't bring the powers from IV because that just came from the virtual reality/simulation.

Throughout the series the protagonist survived occasions that would've been fatal to everyone else such as being shot, locked in the back of a car and left to drown, a boat explosion, being smashed from the top of a 7 floors building to the ground, freefalling in a tank from the top of the troposphere, and several other examples... the protagonist also has healing factor and can take much more damage than anyone else, gunshots that would've been fatal to others are just scratches to him... all of these things makes me believe that mutants/superhumans are very real from the start of the series and the protagonist is one of them.

I also believe he was artificially created in a lab, possibly for a military and/or corporate project of supersoldiers, he possibly broke free from the lab slaughtering his way into freedom, the company responsible for his creation could be Ultor. What makes me believe that is the fact his past is barely brought, it's possible he also got his memories wiped out after he escaped.

Other possible mutants:

Victor
Maero
Gat
Killbane

it would be insteresting if Volition explored this concept a bit more, heck they could even release an Origins game explaining his past. I think it's interesting how the Protagonist could be turned into a 2/Portia Lee like character from Dark Matter Sy-Fy series.

But... That would mean that the protagonist from every single video game I've ever played -- ever -- is ALSO a mutant/superhuman! :eek:

And I thought they just had thick skin. :confused:

No, the protagonist is human. There's a perfectly rational explanation for all of those things, without resorting to the mutant/superhuman theory. For example, the protagonist is exceptionally good at dodging bullets, so those bullet hits are simply minor grazes that can be easily fixed with some band-aides and antiseptic. And the boat explosion put him into a coma for 5 years and messed up his face! THAT'S not superhuman.

Honestly, the protagonist is not superhuman any more than James Bond is superhuman.

Besides, my protagonist has died so many times, just like a real human! ;)

Last edited:
I see, but that doesn't explain his healing factor, and other ppl extremely resistant to damage since the first game such as Victor from SR1 who survived two car explosions with little scratch and had to be gunned down with an entire clip from a AR40 in order to be put down.

In SR2 one of the expansions was about investigating Ultor experimenting on and creating genetically enhanced humans.

All of these hints make me believe superhumans are very real in SR universe. Not in the Marvel universe meaning of the world, but more like the Synthetics from the Dark Matter series.

The healing factor is a gameplay element so I wouldn't consider it canon. And i like to think the boss jumped out of the boat right before the boat explodes and was knocked unconscious by the impact not the explosion itself since it makes more sense to survive that.

The first post in this thread reminds me of the mutants/superhumans from the world of the Fallout series!

The Brutes are clones of Oleg and Oleg isn't exactly "normal" himself, so the theory isn't entirely impalpable.

It would certainly explain the bulkier appearance the male character had in SRTT compared to SR2.

Back