Big Layoffs Hit Agents of Mayhem Developer Volition

I was wondering why the Volition streams stopped so abruptly. Now I know. :(
I am very sorry for everyone who was laid off. I know how difficult it is.
This really sucks! I feel so bad.

Even though I was not thrilled with the idea of AOM instead of SR5, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. A bad decision was made, but unfortunately the people who frequently get laid off are not the ones who made the decision. They are the ones who worked hard to make the best game they could with the direction they were given.

Last edited:
Sad to hear about the bad news people :(

I was wondering why the Volition streams stopped so abruptly. Now I know. :(
I am very sorry for everyone who was laid off. I know how difficult it is.
This really sucks! I feel so bad.

Even though I was not thrilled with the idea of AOM instead of SR5, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. A bad decision was made, but unfortunately the people who frequently get laid off are not the ones who made the decision. They are the ones who worked hard to make the best game they could with the direction they were given.
They supposedly stopped because they were moving the streaming setup to a new room. Makes you wonder if this was the real reason all along or if the layoffs were sudden for them as well.

Either way, that sucks. Hopefully they're able to pull it back together. While I wouldn't call AoM a great game, I still enjoyed it, and somebody fucked up with AoM's marketing to ensure that nobody would buy it regardless of its actual quality. I would hope they have been let go as well, but somehow I doubt it.

They supposedly stopped because they were moving the streaming setup to a new room. Makes you wonder if this was the real reason all along or if the layoffs were sudden for them as well.

Surprised all of us. We were getting ready to resume streaming today at the new location.

Streams are currently on hold until we can figure things out.

Surprised all of us. We were getting ready to resume streaming today at the new location.

Streams are currently on hold until we can figure things out.
I was about to ask about you. Sounds like you're still there. I was getting pretty nervous, but I feel a bit better now. I'm glad they kept you. Smart decision. :)

I've been through several layoffs myself. It seems to be standard operating procedure at tech companies to walk you right out the door with no advanced notice. It's ALWAYS a surprise and a shock. The suits are really good at keeping everything a secret until it happens. But I'm sure the talented people will be able to find something relatively quickly.

It's got to be a big hit to morale, though. The streams won't be the same without Josh. :(

This is a really big shame, I really hope they have some sort of reason for downsizing, because Volition has been absolutely wonderful in community interaction and openness as a game company.

I hope the absolute best for the those affected, and their families. And that they find great success in the future. You are all awesome.

https://fl1ppy.com/2017/09/28/volition-layoffs/

I completely agree with Flippy on this. As I've said, I literally could not play this game (and I haven't seen a patch for performance yet, only bug fixes, which is good, but still stops me from being able to buy it). And I realise that my concerns about marketing and the attention the game was getting online wasn't paranoia, I really don't get how the marketing was handled, because absolutely no one seemed to know about this.

The internal streams showing us the dev process were superb, but I kept thinking that lots of activities or set piece missions or story moments weren't being shown due to spoilers, same with the trailers. But from what I'm hearing, was there not much of that stuff to show?

A large amount of missions sounded good, but then I saw that single story sections are split into several parts? Do those count as missions? Most of them seemed to be driving to areas in the city and fighting legion whilst unlocking another or part of the same mission or a new character mission, or something along those lines, rather than what gamers typically consider to be "story missions". Those seem awkwardly few and far between, are parts counted separately?

Having so many Saints Row references is really weird to me too, the game is obviously combat focused, and the advertising really confused a lot of people, tonnes of very explicit crossovers, but such stark difference in overall tone and gameplay made people confused as to what they were getting, as shown with how often interviewers asked about how this relates to Saints Row, when it should be something completely different.

Gosh I'm far too off topic, I wish I could help those affected, but I'm really just a random person on the internet, I hope everyone is able to get great work, and stay happy and healthy.

Best Wishes, Truly.

Back