What got everyone into saints row?

One week years ago I was reading a topic about crazy things in games on some forum. The premise of hijacking an APC, slapping kneecappers(which at the time I thought was like an automated baseball bat that went for the knees) on it, then gunning nitrous so you plow through rush hour traffic all while your character sang along to 'Take On Me' seemed fascinating. That week Saints Row 2 was like $3.50 on Steam, so I thought 'what the hell?'.

I hat a look at a user curated list of flight/flight-sim games on GOG and the very last game of these 20 flight related games was SR3. The curator said "This game is not a flight game but because of it's great VTOL it needs to be in this list".
So I decided to see what this Saints game is about, watched the trailers and I loved the strong bright colors of it and the crazy humor. I was almost immediately about to buy the game at its full price on Steam but then decided to look if it is somewhere else on sale and right in this week it was on humble bundle in a huge pack of games. So I payed the 14€ and got SR 2,3,4,Gut plus about ten other games including all DLC's plus 2 DRM free versions of SR 2 and 3. As you can imagine my day was perfect then. In short, looking for flight simulators brought me to SR.

Saw an old gameplay of Saints Row 2 involving destroying the prison buses with Brotherhood members. After a few years, I picked up SRTT and then SR2 on Steam which I refunded because I thought it was a buggy mess after looking at the reviews. I was skeptical when I saw SRIV but when the free weekend rolled by on Steam I gave it a shot. After that, I decided to buy IV when it was on sale and I got back SR2 when it went free on April 20, 2017, which by the way I got used to the buggy mess with GoTR installed and some minor tweaking. Finished half the missions and I'm still currently on the Brotherhood arc. Basically, I enjoyed the concept of all the games and pretty much gave me freedom on what the heck I want to do.

Last edited:
I had a simple check list:
-Jiggle Physics
-Cars
-Guns
(higher is priority)
I was looking for entertainment without substance, something to unwind after a long day of free labor, so I grabbed a copy of SRTT for the ps3. I enjoyed it a lot, but later made the mistake of getting SRIV and SR2. Those two are simply not as dynamically enjoyable to be vague. SRTT checked much of my priorities, but because I was still not satisfied, I switched to PC to fix the problems I had with the game using mods. First off was the lack of nudity of course, it felt contradictory to the game's philosophy (anything goes, hence anything goes).

Edit: I take back what I said about Saints Row 2, hacking through npcs with the katana and kicking them with the Ronin melee is just too fun. Plus I just love the extra depth as a whole. I never knew I would spend hours just buying music!

Last edited:
I saw SR2 on a gaming magazine here in Brazil them bam... "I need this game right now."
I started at SR2, then I playerd SR 1.
Amazing Franchise, but why the heck critical response mercilessly compared with GTA? This kinda of comparison can kill a franchise.

There was a free month on my Xbox 360 once. Got SR4. Did I like it. Yeah, the first couple of times around. Now that I've beaten it more than 10 times and the fact that its the only Saints game I have. I Really need to invest in sr3 or sr2.

Greetings all, new here. Just picked up SR3 a few days ago, mostly for a change of gaming 'scene'. Most of my gaming experience has been through moddable games (from the original Doom up to Skyrim; FO4 was a .... disappointment, and didn't really get into modding that) and at the age of 50, I hoped to find something else to mod and play that wasn't ..... looty-box goodness, or a rush-out-the-door-fix-later type ...;)

It was end of 2015 and I was in my longest gaming lull ever. EVERYTHING... BORED... ME... TO... DEATH...
My inner logic said its time. "You are getting old. Gaming is over. You already are a prick towards modern always connected stuff to games; can just give it up entirely." But somehow I was not ready yet. So I searched up open world games on gog again. And again I somehow ended up at the card of this gangsta GTA clone I occasionally heard about. It was on a sale; so I sighted, threw my hands in the air and bought it knowing that it will just prove to be another waste of time and money.

Oh dear... My gaming life went from this:

Deserted-States02.jpg

to this:

city-night-gif-1279711.gif

I devoured SR2, SR3 and pestered everybody long enough till they released SR4 & GooH on gog too and got them the moment they arrived.

Now I'm wondering whats next from Volition. In parts I accepted that that was it. Some of the greatest gaming moments ever; treasure them and don't expect anything like that again. But... well... weirdly following the rather dull GooH concept of no customization and only premades as player characters AoM fell flat on its face. So there is hope. Kind of.

I saw SR3 mentioned in a Top Ten video on youtube (I forgot the video but it showed mascots getting whacked by the dildo bat) and it was so wacky I needed to try it.

Back