Extracting, and Converting SR4's Soundtrack

@Minimaul.

Awesome, I didn't realize that the later Wwise was made available, thanks!

I'm considering writing some kind of tool to automate the replacing of radio stations (provided all the tools are on the user's machine).

Where are the song title strings stored? Do you know?
I don't, I'm afraid. I'd assume they're in one of the .le_strings files.

You might want to look at the source for a tool I wrote to do just that for SRGOOH: https://github.com/tomjepp/SaintsRowRadiopocalypse/tree/master/RadioSwapper

Why are the WAVs converted to OGG? Assuming the original raw files were in WAV, you are actually loosing sound quality.

Wwise Audiokinetic accepts WAV files only but uses (and thus Saints Row does too) OGG internally (although it's not the same container).

Converting WAV to OGG will be lossy by definition but it's actually not that noticable, plus the fact that the sound is played through the in-game 'radio' some quality hit actually fits in with that.
(If you're an audiophile, listening to your music on an in-game car radio is probably not the best choice.)

(In my case, I had to convert MP3->WAV->Wwise (OGG) so... two lossy steps.)

Another issue I ran into is I found you need to normalize the WAV files to be quite loud (I did +20db + prevent clipping and some tracks were still a little quiet).

Thanks for the low down. Decided to just pick the Mad Decent songs I wanted off of beatport if I'm really gonna be anal about the sound quality.

shouldn't be surprised but I got curious and saw that the entire Mad Decent radio station is on that website if anyone is curious.

tRYa5P2.png

Last edited:
Hello,

First time posting here, but since it took me about 2 hours to figure this out, figure I'd put this here.

Things you will need...
  • Minimaul's Saints Row IV Tools [LINK]
  • Toad King's BNK_PC Extractor [LINK]
  • Latest version of WW2OGG [LINK]
  • Latest version of REVORB [LINK]
  • Transcode.7z (from attached files below)
Step 1: Setup your working directory.

On your desktop, create a new folder - in my example, I'll be using SR4 for the name.
step1_zps44c985f9.png

Extract Minimaul's tools into a folder within your SR4 folder.

In your SR4 folder, create a new folder - name it whatever, I'll be naming mine Conversion.

Extract your zipped WW2OGG, the attached BAT file, and move your revorb.exe into the Conversion folder.
Most important items to have in thise folder are highlighted in my image, in which really are the only files you need.

Extract Toad King's extractor into the same conversion folder.

Step 2: Extracting your BNK_PC file.

Grab your sounds_common.vpp_pc from it's default directory, and place it into your ThomasJepp.SaintsRow-rev12 folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Saints Row IV\packfiles\pc\cache\sounds_common.vpp_pc
or
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Saints Row IV\packfiles\pc\cache\sounds_common.vpp_pc

Run ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfileGUI.exe - select your sounds_common.vpp_pc - then browse to your Conversion folder for it's destination.

It will create a folder in your Conversion folder like the one below.

Locate the radio station you want to extract, make sure the filename ends with _media.bnk_pc. See below.
If you are seeing _media files, but no .bnk_pc, you need to enable file extensions. (Tools [enabled by L ALT in Win7/8] -> Folder Options -> View -> UNCHECK Hide extensions for known file types)
step2-3_zpsc4376cbc.png

Move your selected file back into your Conversion folder.

Step 3: Extract .WAV's

Click on your chosen radio file, and drag it over bnk_pc_extractor.exe

If it was done correctly, you will end up with something similar to below...

Step 4: Final Conversion into OGG

Now, simply run the attached transcode.bat that you extracted in step 1, and you should end up with a Completed folder.

Congratulations!

At this point, if you want it out of the OGG format, and into WAV or MP3, well Audacity is good for this.

SR4 Tutorial.7z includes a back-up of all the tutorial images.

Hey, can you also work on Agents of Mayhem? I cannot find the sound vpp and i really need the songs from the game. PLEASE HELP!!!

It shares same files like it was with SR TT-IV. They're all vpp_pc.

I don't, I'm afraid. I'd assume they're in one of the .le_strings files.

You might want to look at the source for a tool I wrote to do just that for SRGOOH: https://github.com/tomjepp/SaintsRowRadiopocalypse/tree/master/RadioSwapper
Help me please! I need Agents of Mayhem extractor! I also need Mayhem Ready! musics too (abilities from Oleg, Kingpin etc.)! PLEASE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, can you also work on Agents of Mayhem? I cannot find the sound vpp and i really need the songs from the game. PLEASE HELP!!!

It shares same files like it was with SR TT-IV. They're all vpp_pc.

Help me please! I need Agents of Mayhem extractor! I also need Mayhem Ready! musics too (abilities from Oleg, Kingpin etc.)! PLEASE!
1. Don't double post
2. They share the same extension but they are different file formats. There's some test code on my github, but nothing fully working.

1. Don't double post
2. They share the same extension but they are different file formats. There's some test code on my github, but nothing fully working.
Can you finish it? I need these musics, i really like them and want to listen them without voices/conversations lowering the musics down.

Back