Decoding the Saints Row 3 mesh format.

^YESH!
Keep us with information, cos I really want to edit some stuff.

You mean high polygon faces from SRTT? From what I've seen,it seems it doesn't need much polygons in file to draw them =P. For example, female breast model seems to be really low-polygon in-game, but with anti-aliasing it seems soft =D.

Last edited:
Keep us with information, cos I really want to edit some stuff.
Well I'm alive but not actively working on the model importer right now. So there is little new information I can give you at the moment.
Yes I was looking for the highpoly face models that come with the game. They are used in the cutscenes mostly. The lowpoly face you see in the screenshot is okay but it doesn't match the body in level of detail. I would be really interested in the highpoly ones but cannot seem to find them.

Well I'm alive but not actively working on the model importer right now. So there is little new information I can give you at the moment.
Yes I was looking for the highpoly face models that come with the game. They are used in the cutscenes mostly. The lowpoly face you see in the screenshot is okay but it doesn't match the body in level of detail. I would be really interested in the highpoly ones but cannot seem to find them.
Just checked a lot of archives.Nah,there's no such thing as "high poly faces". It just seems it smoothes it in real-time. It does this only in cutscenes cause smoothing a lot of models at once may lag.

Actually no. I read on Xentax (http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9361) that the game uses an npc_basehead and morphs it to shape the head to the specific character. The players head uses the same head model and you can tweak that in the character setup of the game. So basically all characters in the game use the same head model but with different parameters. That would make quite a lot of sense to me.
I just have to figure out how the Morph part works.

Actually no. I read on Xentax (http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9361) that the game uses an npc_basehead and morphs it to shape the head to the specific character. The players head uses the same head model and you can tweak that in the character setup of the game. So basically all characters in the game use the same head model but with different parameters. That would make quite a lot of sense to me.

That's pretty weird. I developed a 3D engine myself, so I really want to ask, who the hell made engine work so weird?

Well, every mesh with morph targets should come with a dedicated cmorph_pc file which contains a list of delta vertex positions for every morph. In case of npc_basehead, I assume there could also be multiple cmorph_pc files - one for every npc head shape - so the game doesn't have to load *all* npc morphs every time a cutscene plays.
EDIT: Here's the binary cmorph_pc file for the female player character, along with an ascii version (morphx).

Attachments

• cf_body_pc.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Here's the binary cmorph_pc file for the female player character, along with an ascii version (morphx).

Much appreciated! As it was almost two years ago since I had a last look at this I can't remember seeing these morph files, but this news is great. It should make it a lot easier to work out the highpoly face models now. I just hope that the npc textures will be okay on these morphed face models, but we will see that once we get there. Now you got me triggered into re-investigating this. :)

Well I've managed to get the Morph file working on Shaundi. The startingpoint is indeed the npc_basehead model. I'm just having some trouble finding the right scales to use as it seems that the X, Y and Z scales are variables. I'm sure they are defined somewhere in the files, so I will be looking for that in the coming days. I've also ironed out some of the issues with other character files. The script is now able to import all character models! :) Check out the high-res head model!

Morphtest.png

Back