Saints Row IV Why i hate SR IV

Hate is such a strong word.

Honestly, if you hate it so much, wouldn't it be more productive and satisfying to just uninstall it and never speak of it again? Wouldn't that be better than roiling in negativity over a game that's, well, just a game?? /shrug
I know this was from December 20th, but you make a good point.

If someone hated a game so much, wouldn't it be much more satisfying to put it away in a deep, dark corner of the room and never play it again? That said, I don't mind Saints Row 4, but I can see why people do and that's pretty cool. I do get a kick out of wearing the Mecha-zilla costume, that's hilarious. xD

Use the damn dialetics when analyzing things people! Saints row IV is cool, you got the cool weapons, the Nice outfits, the cars an the super powers. I didnt liked the game by the way,

i know i created this thread last year, and i just wanna say that i have tons of reasons to complain about the game, and also about the modding. the second creation kit (to create new models/morph) is supossed to be released on november last year, and now it's almost november again. Still no creation kit, i've been waiting for so long until early 2015. still no creation kit, until i give up. i decided to play games like Skyrim, Gta, The Witcher, and stuff. compared to skyrim. Saint's Row The Third was released in the same year as Skyrim, but look at saint's row mods... all you see is just some.. replaced textures, few command mods, better lighting or some random outdated mods. and in Skyrim, there are immersive mods, new hair mods, even a DLC sized quest mod. So that's why i'm complaining. My advice: Move on, there are tons of games outside. this game is just too outdated and i dont even know what to do after i finished the story, you just explore a small tiny world with a few enterable buildings. while games like Skyrim, The Witcher, GTA. has tons. That's all i wanted to say, PEACE.

I feel like the story could have been a lot better. The whole simulation thing definitely gave the writers and developers a lot more freedom, but it's almost like it made the writers a bit lazy. Any sort of question can simply be answered with, "that's just the way the simulation is." The most confusing thing for me is how much control the protagonist has over the simulation. Like, it is supposed to be your worst fears, yet you have all the guns you could ever want and access to superpowers just by killing a warden. I mean, the whole story relies almost entirely on Kinzie. All I want is for the next Saints Row game to never make me kill enemies while someone hacks something.

I feel like the story could have been a lot better. The whole simulation thing definitely gave the writers and developers a lot more freedom, but it's almost like it made the writers a bit lazy. Any sort of question can simply be answered with, "that's just the way the simulation is." The most confusing thing for me is how much control the protagonist has over the simulation. Like, it is supposed to be your worst fears, yet you have all the guns you could ever want and access to superpowers just by killing a warden. I mean, the whole story relies almost entirely on Kinzie. All I want is for the next Saints Row game to never make me kill enemies while someone hacks something.
The fact that it is a simulation completely killed any emotional investment or sense of immersion for me. Why care about any of it or feel invested in it, or its citizens, if they are just AI? You're basically playing a game about someone playing a game. That's two levels of disconnection. And after Earth was destroyed, there wasn't even anything to push you forward other then get revenge and the handful of people in your spaceship. The game went to great lengths to make me just don't give a damn about it, and it really succeeded.

The fact that it is a simulation completely killed any emotional investment or sense of immersion for me. Why care about any of it or feel invested in it, or its citizens, if they are just AI? You're basically playing a game about someone playing a game. That's two levels of disconnection. And after Earth was destroyed, there wasn't even anything to push you forward other then get revenge and the handful of people in your spaceship. The game went to great lengths to make me just don't give a damn about it, and it really succeeded.
True story

You're right about that. There wasn't even a “Oh, and if you die in there, you die here” like there was in the last game. For all we know, our character gets ripped out of the simulation by Kinzie the moment it appeared that we were about to die. So basically...

• Any emotional investment in the world is gone because it's literally been destroyed within the first ten minutes. All we have to be invested in are a ship and our group that we rescue one by one. Why do I give a crap about Virtual!Steelport? The whole game is about trying to break it, not save it.

• Any emotional investment in our virtual avatar is gone because we don't even know what happens when we die in the simulation.

The reason I hated it:
• What's the point of Asha and Matt? They don't feel like Saints members, and I refuse to accept that they are Saints members. I also fail to see why everyone's not minding the fact that Matt is now a member of the very gang he once tried very hard to destroy in the last game.

• We're not even playing our character, he/she is reclining in the pod; we spend 90% of the game playing as a virtual avatar of our character.

• If Zinyak wrote the simulation and has full control over it, why doesn't he just re-write it so we fall into a giant pit of lava? Why did he allow into the simulation things that we could use to fight against his own men? If he knew where the ship was, why didn't he just attack with everything he had rather than send in a few armed mooks? I...I mean, he literally could've ended the whole thing at any time, especially when he was beginning to see that the Saints were a threat, yet he didn't. Literally! The next time they all go in there, have the simulation re-written so it's a giant volcanic lava flow instead of a simulation of a city they would all be familiar with. It was like the game deliberately made him stupid so that we could win.

Perhaps we'll find out in the next game, that the part of SR4 that wasn't a simulation was in fact a simulation.
Yo dawg, I heard you like simulations, so I put a simulation in your simulation, so you can play a simulation while playing a simulation while you play a game.
Which would be a copout.

You're right about that. There wasn't even a “Oh, and if you die in there, you die here” like there was in the last game. For all we know, our character gets ripped out of the simulation by Kinzie the moment it appeared that we were about to die. So basically...

• Any emotional investment in the world is gone because it's literally been destroyed within the first ten minutes. All we have to be invested in are a ship and our group that we rescue one by one. Why do I give a crap about Virtual!Steelport? The whole game is about trying to break it, not save it.

• Any emotional investment in our virtual avatar is gone because we don't even know what happens when we die in the simulation.

The reason I hated it:
• What's the point of Asha and Matt? They don't feel like Saints members, and I refuse to accept that they are Saints members. I also fail to see why everyone's not minding the fact that Matt is now a member of the very gang he once tried very hard to destroy in the last game.

• We're not even playing our character, he/she is reclining in the pod; we spend 90% of the game playing as a virtual avatar of our character.

• If Zinyak wrote the simulation and has full control over it, why doesn't he just re-write it so we fall into a giant pit of lava? Why did he allow into the simulation things that we could use to fight against his own men? If he knew where the ship was, why didn't he just attack with everything he had rather than send in a few armed mooks? I...I mean, he literally could've ended the whole thing at any time, especially when he was beginning to see that the Saints were a threat, yet he didn't. Literally! The next time they all go in there, have the simulation re-written so it's a giant volcanic lava flow instead of a simulation of a city they would all be familiar with. It was like the game deliberately made him stupid so that we could win.
Good point! This whole revenge thing in SR4 didn't worked, you had no motivation to do it; take Metal Gear Solid 4 as an example, it was basically about revenge, just like SR4 but the enemies at least tried to annihilate you almost every time, and they almost do it, also the game have you a lot of reasons on why should you continue, but let's not compare those two games, MGS4 is an totally different type of interactive storytelling

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The ability to brutally murder somebody with telekinesis or a blackhole gun loses its luster when there's two levels of disconnect reminding me "this character isn't real". And despite that, multiple times in the story they kept trying to make the simulated pedestrians "real". Like in the cutscene where Keith David is giving his speech or when you go around curing pedestrians of Tanya's virus.

Makes you wonder if this was a result of the lack of time they had with the game or if they just didn't care.

Back