How to toggle upgrades

Here's a simple step-by-step guide to removing an upgrade you don't want from your save. First off, you'll need a copy of the file unlockables.xtbl. If you don't have one already, you can use Minimaul's tools to extract it from misc_tables.vpp_pc and put it into your SR4 root directory. That in mind, let's get rolling:
1. Make a backup copy of upgrades.xtbl
2. Open unlockables.xtbl in a text editor. Notepad++ is pretty good, but if you don't feel like installing it you can just use regular Notepad.
3. Find the upgrade you want to remove. This applies both to upgrades you can find in your hub's "upgrades" menu and to superpower upgrades, though I should warn you that deleting a superpower upgrade won't get the clusters you spent on it back.
4. Highlight and delete the entry, starting with <upgrade> and ending with </upgrade>, and save the file.
5. Load your savegame in SRIV, and then save it.
6. Restore unlockables.xtbl from the backup you made in step 1.
7. Load the save again, and you should see the upgrade available for purchase again in case you change your mind.

If you use weapon_upgrades.xtbl (available in patch_compressed.vpp_pc) instead of unlockables.xtbl, you can do the same thing to toggle, for instance, the acidic ammo upgrade for the Heavy SMG. For weapon upgrades, find the one you want and delete everything from <weapon_upgrade> to </weapon_upgrade>

Last edited:
Hi, while I wholeheartedly believe that this will work, I have some questions concerning the guidance given here.
First and foremost, I'm looking to remove the Tornado effect given from the upgrade under sprint and I seem to be having trouble finding it due to some confusion associated with the next problem.
Second, I'm not sure if this is incorrect, but you seem to say that we will need a copy of the "unlockables.xtbl" but later you say that we will need a copy of the "upgrades.xtbl." I can find the "unlockables.xtbl" but the "upgrades.xtbl" does not seem to exist within the "misc_tables.vpp_pc" extraction.

Now, if this were to work later in the future, I would like to be able to identify which upgrade it is that I'm looking for, because as I scrolled through the "unlockables.xtbl" the names were illiterate to me and thus I could barely distinguish which segments of text were associated with which skills, upgrades, unlockables, whatever.

tl;dr: Can't find "upgrades.xtbl," How am I supposed to know where to find the Tornado Sprint upgrade.

Yeah, it was supposed to be unlockables.xtbl. I've fixed it now. For the tornado upgrade, look for the term Sprinting_wind.

This is quite late but, Does it works for superpowers and challenge's auto-upgrades? because i really want to remove them.

I'm trying to remove the acid from the SMG. I spent an hour searching for it and still can't find it. I need help.
That goes for weapon_upgrades.xtbl not the ones are shown on this tutorial. there are storaged most of weapon upgrades to disable/enable ingame.

Back