Favorite and Least Favorite Aspects of Gaming.

This can be any thing that goes in the Video Game Industry. Ranging from gameplay features to companies, fanbases, the actual games themselves, certain policies you agree with or absolutely loathe?

Last edited:
Favorites:
Choices/consequences
Open world
Customization

Dislikes:
The fanbase of COD/League of Legends/Dota/TF2/CounterStrike/Anime

Favorite:
Character\Weapon and Vehicle Customization.
Destructible Scenery.
Decent Characters.
Open World or if it's a mix of linear corridors and open arenas than a damn good FPS locale. (City 17, Rapture, Columbia, the Russian Campaign levels from World At War, the Unnamed City from Mirrors Edge etc).

Mixed Opinion:
Morality Choices: Although a decent concept more often than not in games such as Infamous and Mass Effect there's no middle-ground. Especially since many of the gameplay or story choices immediately make Cole and Shepard into Electric Jesus and Space Pope or a Super-Powered Jeffery Dahmer and Sci-Fi Stalin.

Updates\Patches: I love the fact that developers can now go back and fix a massive fuck up in their game. (Lord knows Sonic 06 could've benefited from this). However nowadays updates have become increasingly common for Indie, Middle-Market and even Triple-A Games while at the same time becoming larger and in many cases the update actually decreases stability.

The Ugly:
Fanbases. No seriously go on Google and type in COD, Sonic, Final Fantasy or FNAF and there's a 100% guarantee that you'll need therapy for at least fifteen years.

DLC and Downloadable Games: It's odd when publishers complain about how Piracy and Used Games are the devil but yet they set the price for a few maps at twenty freaking US Dollars or three weapons at ten dollars. At the same time we have games from online storefronts that are often inflated beyond belief in terms of price. For example a physical copy of a game released a few years ago would cost $20-$30 while older titles are usually priced at $5-$20 dollars. On online stores? The price is often deadlocked at $40-$75 dollars even if the game has been out for nearly ten years.

Last edited:
Camera angles. Why is it that only racing games have more than 2 different camera angles? There's cockpit view, chase cam(near, medium, far), overhead view, front of the car view. Perhaps others as well; it's been a while since I've played one.
Yet, Saints Row(as an example) has over the right shoulder view, and fine aim. That's it. Why not over the left shoulder(adjusting the handedness of the character would be nice as well for this), left fine aim, centred third person(traditional), first person, top down, perhaps even isometric(leftish and rightish maybe). Oh yeah, with each of the 3rd person views having near, medium, and far variants.
Alternatively, imagine being able to hold a particular key combination down and being able to adjust the position and angle relatively freely. No moving the camera in front, so more out to the sides, above, and behind the character. While I'm going completely crazy, have the option to save several positions, so they can be changed to when you want.

What I hate is how there's more and more shitty DLCs and micro-translactions which often include very basic content. When I pay for the game, I want the full product, not a piece of it.
By the way, THQ and Volition would deserve The Worst DLCs Ever Made award for creating and releasing stuff like Bloodsucker Pack or Unlockable Pack for the actual money. Oh, and I almost forgot about DLCs with cheats (one of them got released AFTER Volition became DS Volition, so...).

The sad thing about DLC is that there is in fact DLC that actually adds good meaty to their games. Unfortunately for every Ballad of Gay Tony, Assault on Dragon's Keep, Pitt and Dragonborn there's some terrible DLC that consists of maps, outfits, weapons, items, vehicles, cheats and key plot points that several years ago would've been in the game to begin with or simply added in via a patch.

Back