Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third on GOG

I'd like to get GOG's version of SR2 to see if GotR v1.9.2 will work.

It should work just fine. It's pretty much the same release as the Steam one.

Doesn't Gog have a similar library for games you own/tied to your login name.

Mine are all laid out like a book shelf.

@Minimaul
I noticed this on a forum elsewhere:
Quote:
in GOG version some perfomance query function calls were either patched or nopped. If you'll continue to insist, I'll download their stuff again and post comparision results.

Update:
And without further ado...
It seems GOG just took PROPHET crack and removed some evidences from their .EXE. For example, Valve's DOS stub (present in PROPHET crack) was filled with zeroes. The original file (from the devs) would have its own unique DOS stub, not just zeroes. Also, GOG enabled "Large address aware" flag in PE header. The only meaningful actual code changes:
http://postimg.org/image/hlfi2prhj/
http://postimg.org/image/a5t0ef9xv/

Please don't infer anything by me posting this , i own SR3 + SR4 on Steam and old sr2 version:)

Last edited:
GOG have been known to use cracked EXEs before - to the extent that on some initial releases they haven't even been renamed! Seeing something like that wouldn't really surprise me. Quite why they enabled the LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag mystifies me though.

The GOG version definitely has the same performance issues as SR2 on Steam though - even if they have patched or nop'd some function calls it still hasn't appreciably fixed anything.

The behaviour of the EXE is essentially the same as the Steam release. It certainly still has the same bugs - it still has cutscene sync issues (which are timing related), it still has speedup/slowdown issues (some of which are timing related, some are related to how it streams the world from disk, etc). It's also certainly based on the same build - absolutely every important memory address is the same, and it has the same build timestamp.

Edit: both the GOG EXE I have here (from my GOG Galaxy install) and the Steam EXE I use to develop Powertools both have 156 different locations in the code that call QueryPerformanceCounter (as per IDA Pro). A cursory glance shows them all being at the same addresses.

Yeh ,Gog have done it with another game recently (can't remember the name ) .
They're never gonna get any blowback from pirates ,so it's easy for them to do.
They do have a habit of trying to make their game release sound better than the equivalent steam release.
I think they did it with system shock 2 recently ,that's business i suppose.
But there's too many clever guys out there like yourself who can quickly find out what's actually in a game release.
Anyway i have quite a few gog games but generally i go for steam versions ,they tend to mess around less with games they release especially the older ones.

Last edited:
With Saints Row 2 on GOG you should be able to now use this 4GB memory exe patch which may help with game performance and modding: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
SR2 doesn't allocate memory like that - like the other SR titles it allocates fixed chunks and uses those. Giving it more memory space to be able to use only helps if the software is designed to use it. SR2 isn't!

Back