Steam workshop now supporting paid mods

Man that's bullshit! I'm very against as well, Minimaul! This basically ruins everything for everyone to enjoy by putting more than just hard work into it. Modding is something they shouldn't make people pay for. Modding is a matter of free will not something that needs to work like a business unless you support the author of said mods. Charging is crap and donations should only be the kind of money put into it should someone feel like doing it.

Man that's bullshit! I'm very against as well, Minimaul! This basically ruins everything for everyone to enjoy by putting more than just hard work into it. Modding is something they shouldn't make people pay for. Modding is a matter of free will not something that needs to work like a business unless you support the author of said mods. Charging is crap and donations should only be the kind of money put into it should someone feel like doing it.
Um I think your a bit late to the party; Valve recently announced that they'll be taking a double-barreled shotgun to the paid mod program.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Are you talking about the $5USD you have to spend on Steam to remove the limited access restriction? I think this is a good thing to help against spam/scam accounts. It's one of Steams better ideas in my opinion.

It is only $5. Is it REALLY an issue? Cut a visit for junk food for one day and there's your $5.

Anyway didn't someone mention that Steam Workshop support was coming to Saints Row? I wonder if we are in for a surprise if that releases.
What if a kid got steam so he could play TF2 or something with his friends... his mom isn't just gonna pull the money up her ass and it probably gonna take days maybe even weeks for the kid the money so it is a problem. DEAR GOD!

What if a kid got steam so he could play TF2 or something with his friends... his mom isn't just gonna pull the money up her ass and it probably gonna take days maybe even weeks for the kid the money so it is a problem. DEAR GOD!

In that case, have the kids friends add him, instead of the other way around. I believe people can still add LIMITED accounts, but LIMITED accounts cannot add others.

Contrary to what the internet seems to believe, I don't automatically assume every company out there is intent on being evil. The $5 minimum on Steam will affect more spammers & scammers than those "kids who want to play TF2 with friends" people, so I'm all for that feature. You better prepare yourself for the return of paid mods in the future as well. I did not support what Steam did with the paid mod system because of how sudden and poorly designed it was, but I'm open to a more well thought out paid mod system in the future, which will hopefully let free mods and paid mods exist without destroying the community. Is that possible? No way to fucking know.

--------

Also, your signature is asking for donations regarding a contest? That sounds fishy to me. That's not a contest, that's a gamble. You're making people spend money hoping they win a prize. There is nothing stopping you from picking a non-existent winner while keeping the donations. You should end it, or turn it into a giveaway instead.

Your signature:
"P.S. I'm making a little contest on DeviantArt, I will randomely pick someone who donates to me to get a Gameboy Color (If you have a PO Box).
So please donate!"

You always had to have a paid game on your account to enable community features - the difference was before it could be a £0.49 game from a sale, or it could be activated using a product key bought elsewhere - you now have to spend £5/$5 directly on Steam.

I bought a £0.49 game on my second account back when you couldn't log in on two machines at once!

Also, your signature is asking for donations regarding a contest? That sounds fishy to me. That's not a contest, that's a gamble. You're making people spend money hoping they win a prize. There is nothing stopping you from picking a non-existent winner while keeping the donations. You should end it, or turn it into a giveaway instead.

Your signature:
"P.S. I'm making a little contest on DeviantArt, I will randomely pick someone who donates to me to get a Gameboy Color (If you have a PO Box).
So please donate!"
We're not the donation police... although in most of the US running contests like that needs a gambling license.

You always had to have a paid game on your account to enable community features - the difference was before it could be a £0.49 game from a sale, or it could be activated using a product key bought elsewhere - you now have to spend £5/$5 directly on Steam..

Which is perfect. Helps cut down spam accounts. It seems like I'm in the minority who thinks that it's a good thing.

In that case, have the kids friends add him, instead of the other way around. I believe people can still add LIMITED accounts, but LIMITED accounts cannot add others.

Contrary to what the internet seems to believe, I don't automatically assume every company out there is intent on being evil. The $5 minimum on Steam will affect more spammers & scammers than those "kids who want to play TF2 with friends" people, so I'm all for that feature. You better prepare yourself for the return of paid mods in the future as well. I did not support what Steam did with the paid mod system because of how sudden and poorly designed it was, but I'm open to a more well thought out paid mod system in the future, which will hopefully let free mods and paid mods exist without destroying the community. Is that possible? No way to fucking know.

--------

Your signature:
So please donate!"
Oh yeah that's already over anyways I forgot to remove it, lol.

Back