Do you like how Dex was treated?

Yeah believe it or not there was A LOT of story and gameplay elements that were cut from SR3 due to the corporate douchbaggery that was going on at THQ. For example at one point there was supposed to be a parkour mechanic. I'm really hoping that with a new publisher that we'll see what SR4 (and to an extant SR3) was supposed to be. As in more of a mix of SR2-SR3 and less of "WACKY ALIEN DEMON DILDO SUPER-DERPY FUN-TIME".

I actually found it a lot of fun, and enjoy it immensely! I also didn't like SR2 for numerous reasons. soooooo... I actually hope they stay on the Crazy Train so they can have all my monies!
194298.gif

I actually found it a lot of fun, and enjoy it immensely! I also didn't like SR2 for numerous reasons. soooooo... I actually hope they stay on the Crazy Train so they can have all my monies!
194298.gif
Considering how well IV was received, we may very well stay on the crazy train for a while.

Going back on the topic of how I feel about the way Volition treats Dex and the other walking plot-holes is that well there is a way to create a balls-to-the-wall dadaist video game without taking a meat cleaver to the plot, setting and/or characters. Don't believe me? Well look at other open world games like Prototype, Mercenaries, Fallout, Destroy all Humans, Far Cry, Infamous, Just Cause and of course the ever-so infamous GTA. Sure these games are batshit insane but they do it without needlessly removing things that where from the previous games. (So far they've removed boats, grenades, clothing layers, walk cycles, fighting styles, cheats, replayable missions, cribs and now that "No-Customization" dreck they had in GOOH). All i'm saying is that Volition can make what would happen if they threw Mass Effect, Shadowrun, Crackdown and several pounds of pure Colombian Cocaine into a blender. Just don't make the story, gameplay and overall open world suffer because of it.

Last edited:
^ Sorry, but GTA actually ever removed some features from previous games. This made fans who wanted "the next GTA should have what previous GTA had" mad.

GTAIV moment was the most notable because it had 'downgraded' features from San Andreas. Other than that, it's usually related to vehicles and weapons from previous GTA being absent in the present GTA.

I for one understand why some things have to go for the sake of keeping the theme together. Or to just simply to go on with new design and push it to the limit.

Apparently, this also happens in other games like Dynasty Warriors, where fans want everything to be in and the developer got no backbone regarding to it. Now the game is a massive clusterf*ck.

However, it's true when you said this kind of thing should not hurt the other aspects in the game. To remove a feature or not, a feature has to serve a purpose. The loss of 'Bomb' class in SRIV was replaced by 'Super Power' which basically bearing the same concept of '4 types of dealing massive wide damage'. But I'm sure sad to see walking style, fighting style, and that katana movesets gone in SR3 and 4. Minor cosmetic aspect; not hurting the gameplay, but surely sad to see it's gone.

I've talked about this a lot, honestly. I think that it would have been a vastly better fit for Dex to be the leader of Ultor down in hell, since it would have given him a proper redemption, not to mention the treatment he received in general in GOOH isn't even really worthwhile for people who wanted to kill him. I've killed him so many times already, and he is literally my favorite character. And I didn't even think it was worth it to kill him. The only thing that made him "Dex" was his hat. Why didn't he have a unique body? Why did Vogel, who came so far in Ultor only to fail, get a body and back on top, when Dex, who also did underhanded things to get on top AND got fucked over, is forced to be a husk?

I get that this is just a standalone expansion and that there are reasons they didn't expand upon Dex's storyline, but in this case, they should have either put more effort into Dex (and maybe foregone the "old timey baddies" like Vlad and such, and instead worked on making old homies homies again) or not included him at all. Because what they gave really isn't anything at all. The first time you kill him, you hear him say some insulting lines, then you shoot him a few times, and he's dead. He never gets any stronger, but his baddies do. The most fun I have with Dex is grabbing him as a meat shield and running behind buildings so I can hear the various lines he has. And even then, they serve to make him that much more one-dimensional.

I just vastly would have preferred a redemption arc for him, since outside of leaving the Saints to pursue his own desires, then turning on the protagonist out of both self-defense AND trying to do what he believed was the right thing to do (the first part is more my interpretation, and the second is rather obvious), he never pulled what Vogel pulled. Vogel was letting the Saints take out all the other gangs before sending in his own Masako to try and wipe them out. Dex was essentially pulling a Julius, but in the end he also failed. And I think in the end, with Dex in hell (WHERE IS JULIUS THOUGH) and Julius already being punished (but not really because he isn't even in hell and the simulation isn't even really him), of anyone who should be trying to make amends and would make for a well-redeemed homie, Dex fits better for the role Vogel filled.

That said, I can understand Vogel in the role well and I think he fit it just fine, but I would have personally preferred it if Dex were the one in that role. I could also get up about Troy being a husk for an activity only without getting a chance to be a homie either, but I won't.

I also know this probably sounds like the inane ramblings of a Dex fan who is waving her hand over the really bad stuff Dex did, but trust me, I am aware that he isn't a good guy. I just want to find ways that he could be redeemed, since the boss has managed to forgive a lot of people who did them wrong, and while Dex was one of the worst, I don't think it's impossible for him to be forgiven. Otherwise you'd think all those simulations of old enemies would be summoned by the boss and killed over and over until they got bored. But maybe that's just me.

Back