About Johnny Gat - there is somebody that don't care about him that much?

I liked Johnny Gat, or at least I did before he became the messiah. I liked how the first game had him as little more than an attack dog for the Saints that no one respected besides the Playa. Almost as if liking him was frowned upon. I also liked how when the Saints were revived, Johnny became the second in-command and pretty much the mascot, a madman Korean being seen as a model example of American masculinity and strength that even the Boss had to reign in sometimes. I thought that was great foreshadowing of the gang's shift in priories. SR3 had the gang "trading their dicks in for pussies" becoming relatively sociable and benign, and I thought Gat's death was a good metaphor for that. (The decision to do that to the Saints is an argument for another time) But then SR4 came along, literally spelling out the Saints shift to heroism in the intro (not sure why Julius is still on the Boss' shit list at this point) but inflating Gat's dick to monstrous proportions, like it wanted to ape SR2 and ignore SR3 so bad that it fell into the holes SR3 didn't finish filling.

As for Kinzie, she has more depth, but most of the time, I just can't stand her. It seems like she's only ever around to belittle the Boss and make them look dumb by comparison. What the fuck. The Boss can be customized to fuck and back, who's to say the player isn't a nerd like her, and wants that to have just the smallest effect on their character? Considering the emphasis on Sci-Fi references and the existence of this forum, that's extremely likely. But no, Gat's being worshiped like Jesus, yet she's still allowed to step on the Boss' face. The SR2 Boss would've ended up punching her before Matt Miller.

TLDR: I liked Gat when I wasn't supposed to. Why in God's name is The Boss letting themselves get punked out by the FBI agent of all people?

Last edited:
^ If anything else, Gat's only back because the fans wanted him back. It's Kinzie that's being worshipped like Jesus. She almost always has the answer to everything and she almost always backtalks the Saints at every turn with snarky commentary. She's even allowed to punch the Boss a time or two! Even if the Boss mellowed out considerably by Saints Row IV, I highly doubt they'd allow themselves to be walked on by one of their subordinates.

Another thing to note: she's allowed to put the mission at risk and not save Matt because of previously held grudges, but as soon as the Boss does just about the same thing by putting the mission at risk just to save Gat, she gets all righteous and waxes a speech about how the Boss should be grateful they're putting humanity's collective hide on the line for him/her. I remember reading on the official site posts that wondered why Shaundi wasn't there, why Shaundi wasn't the one teaming up with Gat to save the Boss. They both have a history with the Boss and Shaundi, if anything else, would probably not let Gat out of her sight any time soon.

This isn't my opinion, though, this is from what I've heard from the people who don't like Kinzie. I honestly don't mind Gat or Kinzie.

But game after game, we also have the Boss, Shaundi (from two, and she's loved and remembered), Matt (Just from the Third, and he is loved and remembered)...
I think Gat needs to be a little less badass. Being the way he is, I have the impression that he is just like the Boss. But the Boss can be somewhat justified because he is the character you use in all the games, and he was studied the way to fulfill your 'ego', And also, the Boss is not 'overrated' by his friends (that sometimes criticize him), as opposite as Gat that seems 'everybody love him'.

Shaundi I thought was cool in SR2, but I haven't liked her since. Wanted her dead in SR3 (was happy when I could've killed her and was pissed she was back in SR4). Matt I never liked really either. I liked the Deckers easily as I found them to be cool, but Matt himself just annoyed me.
I always liked Gat, but not really for being a badass, the way he was/is always made me laugh. Any character that can make me laugh is an instant likable character to me. Like Pierce is one I really like as he always made me laugh... even more so in SR4.
I didn't like SR1, but I liked how Gat was playing the cocky badass but still unstoppable. Like when he got shot in his legs and was really showing his weak side in a way and getting angry. They ind of did the same to him to make him a little more down-to-earth when he got stabbed with the sword.
I think as the games goes on he kind of does get a little less badass than before though. How Zinyak pretty much takes him away for one in SR3, and then after that how more... calm he seems since being stuck in the simulation and seeing Aisha's death over and over. I think Gat was way more over the top in SR2 than ever though outside of being sent to the hospital.

I personally like Gat, but with Gat out of Hell, I wasn't really looing forward to playing as him though. Saw him more as a cool funny sidekick and always wanted to play as the boss/myself. Haven't beaten GooH yet, but I'm kind of hoping I can play as the boss in the end as an unlockable (or maybe a mod one day?) I mean I saw my SR4 self in the intro so... as Gat would say "Why the fuck not?"

Even after SR4 supposedly mellowed Shaundi out, it just came across as insincere half the time.
She seemed worse in SR4. Just less angry as no one to mourn over, but far worse as how snotty she acted just around the place, and then how mean she was to Fun Shaundi even after they made up in the Loyal mission.
Then of course comes the Saints Saved Christmas Shaundi.... ugh... I wished she stayed dead.

i was never much of a Gat fan really
infact, i fail to understand why people like him so much, and i think Gat out of hell is a little too Gat themed for a good saints row game

i mean i spent most of the game playing as Kinzie, i love Kinzie, and at the end, it basicly forces you to let Gat take the spotlight

i know the game is GAT out of hell, but still

i was never much of a Gat fan really
infact, i fail to understand why people like him so much, and i think Gat out of hell is a little too Gat themed for a good saints row game

i mean i spent most of the game playing as Kinzie, i love Kinzie, and at the end, it basicly forces you to let Gat take the spotlight

i know the game is GAT out of hell, but still
Way I saw it, it was just a big apology letter to Gat fans for basically killing off their favorite character in an anti-climatic way and having to do an ass pull to get him back.

Back