Nasty Gnome Gun (new Quickshot Pistol skin)

Hey guys,

I spent the last week creating this new weapon skin and let me tell you something: T'was literally a pain in the ass. Unfortunately, I stumbled upon some bugs that slowed the process down quite a bit. For some reasons, the mesh's rotation and scale were a mess, so I had to adjust those values in maya. I ended up with this (which looks perfectly fine ingame):
GnomeMaya.png
Also, editing the magazine's UVs had no impact on how they're mapped ingame.

Anyhoo, I don't want to bother you with my frustration.

Install Instructions:

Just drag and drop all files within the .rar-archive into your Saints Row IV root folder.
(It should be located in ...Steam\SteamApps\common\)

*Update 1.5*

Added a new texture variant.

*Update 1.8*

Added additional alien texture.

*Update 2.0*

Added strings and a fitting icon.

Screenshots:

GnomeScreenshot (3).jpg

GnomeScreenshot (2).jpg

GnomeScreenshot (4).jpg

Interface (1).jpg

View attachment 7691
Interface (2).jpg

Attachments

• nastyGnome_2.1.rar
    3.1 MB · Views: 934
Last edited:
I never knew that I wanted a lawn gnome gun, but now I wonder how could I have ever lived without one.

That's hilarious! Does it make a different sound when firing, as well?

@flow754 If you could pass along your fbx scene before you made any odd modifications, maybe @Donhonk or myself could take a look. @Donhonk cleaned up the "templates" for direct use inside of Maya but the non-weapon templates found in the SR3/4 .7zip archive are all directly out of 3dsmax and would require unlinking and re-orienting all of the joints and tags, which is what I believe @Donhonk actually did.

There is another setting you could try before doing the "cleanup" of the raw archives. I'm not sure I had it fully confirmed and working for Maya. Before you modify a weapon, not found in the templates, export your weapon how you would expect it to be from Maya with no orientation or mesh changes. When using the Converter tool turn on the "Force 3dsMax Zup" setting before loading the fbx file. Keep your Maya scene settings to centimeters/Yup though. I put this in the converter to try and prevent what you had to go through. Let me know what you find. Thanks!

upload_2014-9-14_14-5-54.png

Sounds like you loaded the 3dsmax or Weapon Archive template. Would have to see in order to make that call. On the weapon, hahaha. Love it.

Thanks for all of your comments. Glad you like it!

@[V]Meatplowz @Donhonk I am certain, that I didn't use the 3dsMax templates. In fact, those parts of the gun, which where included in the template's fbx (like the magazine) where not even distorted. However, in retrospect the problem had probably something to do with the gun being created in Blender 3D, where the Z axis points upwards as well. My only question would be, why the gun still treats Z as the up-axis even though I freezed its rotation... Anyways, I uploaded all relevant files for you.

Attachments

• GnomeGunDebug.rar
    1.8 MB · Views: 531
Thanks for all of your comments. Glad you like it!

@[V]Meatplowz @Donhonk I am certain, that I didn't use the 3dsMax templates. In fact, those parts of the gun, which where included in the template's fbx (like the magazine) where not even distorted. However, in retrospect the problem had probably something to do with the gun being created in Blender 3D, where the Z axis points upwards as well. My only question would be, why the gun still treats Z as the up-axis even though I freezed its rotation... Anyways, I uploaded all relevant files for you.

@flow754 What are your Maya scene settings? What the tool is expecting from Maya is Y up and Centimeters, the same settings for the FBX export settings as well. I would try bringing your fbx into an actual template scene and exporting with that for a test if you could.

I'd be curious if @Donhonk can see anything peculiar here.

Last edited:
@flow754 What are your Maya scene settings? What the tool is expecting from Maya is Y up and Centimeters, the same settings for the FBX export settings as well. I would try bringing your fbx into an actual template scene and exporting with that for a test if you could.

I'd be curious if @Donhonk can see anything peculiar here.

Importing the gun into the template rather than the other way around actually did the trick. Now I feel pretty stupid for not trying that before. Also I got rid of the scaling issues by unchecking automatic in the unit conversion tab. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out there!
By the way, is there any file, I could edit so that the gun appears smaller in friendly fire's preview window?

With regard to my initial post, I added a new texture variant!

Importing the gun into the template rather than the other way around actually did the trick. Now I feel pretty stupid for not trying that before. Also I got rid of the scaling issues by unchecking automatic in the unit conversion tab. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out there!
By the way, is there any file, I could edit so that the gun appears smaller in friendly fire's preview window?

With regard to my initial post, I added a new texture variant!

Glad that worked, hopefully we can get this ironed out for everyone a little bit better.

Back