SRIV SHOKOLOV AR - New Skin Texture

The SHOKOLOV AR ( Assault Rifle ) for SRIV has some nice skins that can be acquired from the Friendly Fire store and also from an excellent texture mod made by gameqube that is in the SRIV mods section.

So I gave it a try and made a skin texture for the SHOKOLOV AR shown below.
000asdmv4l.png

Here's a couple of screenshots showing my player character with the SHOKOLOV AR wearing the Ultor Assassin suit I retextured based on gameqube's decker style suit.
00as-pic_v3v_.png

000as-pic_v3vc_.png

000asdmv4l.png 00as-pic_v3v_.png 000as-pic_v3vc_.png

Please let me know what you think of them.
Thanks.

This looks very nice!

I for sure would not mind my character wielding any of your weapon skins I have seen so far. So, when do we see some posts of yours in the Mod Releases section? ;)

How much time does it take you to add all that extra detail on the textures? I dont have the stomach to do so drastic retextures for now, I am more like trying to build a small arsenal of weapons that I like to use, by doing recolorings instead of retexturings.

This looks very nice!

I for sure would not mind my character wielding any of your weapon skins I have seen so far. So, when do we see some posts of yours in the Mod Releases section? ;)

How much time does it take you to add all that extra detail on the textures? I dont have the stomach to do so drastic retextures for now, I am more like trying to build a small arsenal of weapons that I like to use, by doing recolorings instead of retexturings.

Thanks.
Yes it does take some time to get all those shiney parts done and positioned just right.
assaultrifle_a_lg_d-tex_.png

The fact that you add details is great and fits perfectly with the gun shape! Good job!
(Even if i'm not a fan of the overall look :p just a matter of taste)

Also, are you planning on modifying the bump map too? Because, right now, youre details looks a bit "too flat", if you see what I mean.

Yes, an updated normal map would certainly help. Bloodjack, your signature reminded me I had not yet checked your handgun texture mod, so I checked it out and it is really nice, excepted in Friendly Fire, like you mentioned yourself. I checked your files and thought that by bringing the details in the specular map, it would help, but no. I then checked your normal map and figured that you did hand draw the details yourself, and this explains the muddy look. A normal map is very tricky to tinker with, as what we see as colors, are in fact vectors that indicate at what angle the light strikes the surface. The best way I have found so far to get nice results, is to work on producing a nice height map.

Taken from Scanti's thread:
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/how-to-edit-a-saint-row-the-third-normal-map.581/
A height map is a grey scale image, with mid grey (128, 128, 128) means no change to the height. Black means it's higher and white lower.

[I should note here, that other resources I have checked seem to imply it works the other way around: white for higher and vice versa. But Scanti's definition seems to work fine in Saints Row]

Then, we use GIMP's normalmap plugin to produce a normal map, from the height map.

I did give a shot at your gun detailed texture areas, desaturating, inverting colors, etc until I had the result you see in one of my pictures below. And I then produced a normal map from that file and then cloned the fine detailed areas in the gun's original normal map. The result is rather striking, for a one shot trial.heightmap to normalmap.jpg from handdrawnnormal to calculatednormal.jpg

DUUUDE! gameqube! wow! really good job! Yeah lol I tried too hard and drawn the details.
Feel free to release it as a finished mod, there is still the Onyx version to do and I don't have time.
Whe should probably continue this convo in MP if needed :)

The fact that you add details is great and fits perfectly with the gun shape! Good job!
(Even if i'm not a fan of the overall look :p just a matter of taste)

Also, are you planning on modifying the bump map too? Because, right now, youre details looks a bit "too flat", if you see what I mean.

Thanks.
Yes, I am going to start working on modifying the bump map to give it a more defined detailed look.
For this version shown in the pics above, I flattened the bump map with one color ( R-128 G-128 B-000 ) , and you have a good eye to notice it.

Very nice detailing work on the pistol skin you made and thanks to gameqube for working on the bump map too.

Here's a few of the latest screenshots with some detailing fixed.
0asultneerfl.png

0asffultruplft.png

0asbvtolsnrl.png

0asbvtolclsl.png

0asultneerfl.png 0asffultruplft.png 0asbvtolsnrl.png 0asbvtolclsl.png

Back