stuck at 5% loading no matter what

hey, so i have this friend and like.. she's not tech inclined. it's a fucking communication nightmare nevermind the fact her game has some unreplicatable problem that seems to just be for her

it freezes at 5% and does not move. it's on the c: drive, we wiped the prefetch, everything

the thing where you can compatibility it into windows ME making it work on the main menu and just the main menu works but.. yay, the main menu?

i don't know what to do. i'm running out of hair to rip out.

I assume you've tried literally everything recommended on Steam discussions.
Have you tried revalidating game cache just to be sure?

Something that hasn't been mentioned in that one is the Overhauled Stilwater mod, which is essentially GOTR but more vanilla.
I don't know if your friend is willing to figure out how to install either, so I'm uploading a pre-packaged zip of Overhauled Stilwater that you can just extract to the game's install folder with the .exe, if you just want to try it out.
There's no guarantees it'd actually fix your problem though.

It's still uploading, probably check back in an hour from posting.

The .exe file is just the 7-zip archive version for people that don't install 7-Zip. Place it in the game install folder with the exe, double click it, extract and replace all files. It should extract correctly.

I'm also attaching the QINLILI patched game .exe which I'm sure youve seen just in case, it helped performance for me as it enables the game to use 2GB+ RAM but it might not support multiplayer since it's based off GOG exe.
EDIT 14/1/24: I think this modified .exe is against forum rules, so I deleted it. Sorry!

Last edited:
i know bumping a thread is annoying but i never really got this fixed, and now it's past the point she could get it refunded. blame me for thinking i'm the technician who doesn't afraid of anything.

anyway, is it just mac shenanigans? the problem seems to stem (judging by the steam discussions) by installing outside of the c:/ drive, and since bootcamp is on the c:/ drive, is it just incompatibility bullshit?

i can't believe i told her that patch was coming, jesus

firstly
1. hot DAMN i can't believe y'all are trying to get -The- PC Port Of All Time running on a mac
2. ayyy, you bothered to reply after this long which means that you're taking responsibility. good on you!

yeah it might be the Mac is doing Windows stuff in a way the game doesn't like.
assuming you -did- try Overhauled stilwater, I can only suggest you experiment with reducing CPU affinity of the process in Task Manager - maybe give it 1 or 2 cores.
maybe there's also a setting in bootcamp that changes how the hardware behaves, such as disabling gpu drivers or something.

if you're still working on it, all I can say is good luck!

firstly
1. hot DAMN i can't believe y'all are trying to get -The- PC Port Of All Time running on a mac
2. ayyy, you bothered to reply after this long which means that you're taking responsibility. good on you!

assuming you -did- try Overhauled stilwater, I can only suggest you experiment with reducing CPU affinity of the process in Task Manager - maybe give it 1 or 2 cores.
maybe there's also a setting in bootcamp that changes how the hardware behaves, such as disabling gpu drivers or something.

>cpu affinity
i'm shocked i didn't even try this. okay, i'll try to convince her for the fourth time now that reinstalling this game is worth it because it'll totally work this time

thanks for the help tho

Would also be interesting to know what MAC model exactly is being used here with which operation system version and specs.

firstly

i should really get faster at responding to these things, sorry guys

yeah, i tried it and alas.. it went nowhere. it seems i'm just retreading ground from what the steam discussion people did over and over expecting it to change, like for example how windows 95 compatibility mode gets you on the menu but not much further, which is better than normally i guess

affinity did nothing. nothing changed as far as i could see. god this fucking pc port is the bane of my goddamn existence

Would also be interesting to know what MAC model exactly is being used here with which operation system version and specs.

it's a 15 inch 2018, right before they started doing that silicon thing

Can you share what specs the MAC exactly has?
A guide on how to find out the current specs can be found here, which should also work with the model that you are currently using:

Also, this post mentions their "vJoy driver" was the one causing the issue. Maybe you can try tinkering with seeing what drivers are installed
since i'm pretty much the only one who knows technical shit i'm just gonna guess without badgering her that she doesn't have that installed, if a controller requires more than ds4windows and steam input it's just not worth it. joy2key fucked my shit up back in the day so just consider it confirmation bias ig

Can you share what specs the MAC exactly has?
A guide on how to find out the current specs can be found here, which should also work with the model that you are currently using:

cpu: i7 8850H
gpu: radeon 560x
ram: 16gb

nothing more than that should be needed and i feel like if i added anymore i'd get beaten upside the head for privacy concerns (not of mine, i'd gladly give you it but again), but if you need anything more than that ask ig.
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

well, it seems this is just some freak problem caused by mac. hooray. wish i knew this was gonna be a thing before buying it jesus christ
fuck cd projekt, fuck that minimaul guy, fuck deep silver, fuck saudi arabia, fuck the embracer group, fuck nelly, fuck 50, i'm out

Back