Question for the devs regarding clothing restrictions

Hey, so I didn't know where else to ask so I have a request for the devs regarding clothing options in the game. Is it possible to remove the restrictions in outfit customization that makes clothes disappear when layering certain items like for example wearing jackets with necklaces. I understand that clipping could be an issue for certain items but it just seems odd to disable it entirely, especially when considering alot of the jackets do have space for a necklace, like for example the gun holster. same thing goes for full body suits. I understand that something like taco suit would look weird clipping into jackets but that shouldn't be an issue with the swimsuit. the material options also add a lot of creative freedom when combining outfit pieces to make whole new clothing items and it would be nice to see what new pieces of clothing can be made when combining items with similar materials that would normally look weird clipping together.

Hey, so I didn't know where else to ask so I have a request for the devs regarding clothing options in the game. Is it possible to remove the restrictions in outfit customization that makes clothes disappear when layering certain items like for example wearing jackets with necklaces. I understand that clipping could be an issue for certain items but it just seems odd to disable it entirely, especially when considering alot of the jackets do have space for a necklace, like for example the gun holster. same thing goes for full body suits. I understand that something like taco suit would look weird clipping into jackets but that shouldn't be an issue with the swimsuit. the material options also add a lot of creative freedom when combining outfit pieces to make whole new clothing items and it would be nice to see what new pieces of clothing can be made when combining items with similar materials that would normally look weird clipping together.
One of my biggest gripes with the customization tbh. They gave this answer in the AMA they hosted earlier this month and it kinda sums up a lot of the game's problems. Majority of them are due to technical limitations.
1684285717946.png

If it was an older SR removing "flags" that prevent you from wearing both jacket and chain at the same time would fix the problem but in the reboot everything is so complicated and hard to do by devs...

If it was an older SR removing "flags" that prevent you from wearing both jacket and chain at the same time would fix the problem but in the reboot everything is so complicated and hard to do by devs...
Well in all fairness, it's two different engines.

Well in all fairness, it's two different engines.
Yeah, SR2's engine might not have been the fanciest or most stable, but it seems like it was the one that gave them the most freedom. Whatever engine they're using now just seems like utter garbage, having to make "compromises" for practically everything they do.

Overlapping Clothing Layers - Compromised
Generic Gang Followers - Compromised
Building Interiors - Compromised
Total Homie Count - Compromised
Open World Interactions (Aka: Poker, EMT, Firefighter, etc.) - Compromised
Mission Replay - Compromised
Total Crib Count - Compromised
Crib Customization - Reduced to Collectible Display Podiums

If you're having to make so many "compromises" then clearly this is the wrong engine to be using for a "Saints Row" game.

However, this part below does have potential, providing they don't screw it up.
Idle Animations - Incorporated into Emotes
Taunts & Compliments - Also incorporated into Emotes

Last edited:
Yeah, SR2's engine might not have been the fanciest or most stable, but it seems like it was the one that gave them the most freedom. Whatever engine they're using now just seems like utter garbage, having to make "compromises" for practically everything they do.

Overlapping Clothing Layers - Compromised
Generic Gang Followers - Compromised
Building Interiors - Compromised
Total Homie Count - Compromised
Open World Interactions (Aka: Poker, EMT, Firefighter, etc.) - Compromised
Mission Replay - Compromised
Total Crib Count - Compromised
Crib Customization - Reduced to Collectible Display Podiums

If you're having to make so many "compromises" then clearly this is the wrong engine to be using for a "Saints Row" game.

However, this part below does have potential, providing they don't screw it up.
Idle Animations - Incorporated into Emotes
Taunts & Compliments - Also incorporated into Emotes
I don't think it's the engine that's the problem, I think it's more so the budget they were given for JUST the game itself. Usually when games given a better budget to upgrade the engine, we don't see those changes until a sequel or standalone DLC.

A good example of this is Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. The games are on the same engine, but Planet Zoo has loads more content and features due to them being given funding to upgrade their engine.

Same with SR1 and SR2. Same engine, slightly different scenario.

I don't think it's the engine that's the problem, I think it's more so the budget they were given for JUST the game itself. Usually when games given a better budget to upgrade the engine, we don't see those changes until a sequel or standalone DLC.

A good example of this is Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. The games are on the same engine, but Planet Zoo has loads more content and features due to them being given funding to upgrade their engine.

Same with SR1 and SR2. Same engine, slightly different scenario.
That actually makes sense then. I imagine it they were given a pretty high budget, but for a game of today's standards, a lot of it probably went into graphics and the size of the map. then it was clearly gameplay mechanics and customization options, then it was polishing and bug fixes, then whatever little scraps they had left went into that "amazing" set of campaign missions.

That actually makes sense then. I imagine it they were given a pretty high budget, but for a game of today's standards, a lot of it probably went into graphics and the size of the map. then it was clearly gameplay mechanics and customization options, then it was polishing and bug fixes, then whatever little scraps they had left went into that "amazing" set of campaign missions.
Yeah, it's not really as black and white as people make it out to be and it's unfortunate that games across the industry have to do this on top of publishers and investors meddling with it. I just hope they get the funds and time they deserve if they're able to secure a sequel.

Yeah, it's not really as black and white as people make it out to be and it's unfortunate that games across the industry have to do this on top of publishers and investors meddling with it. I just hope they get the funds and time they deserve if they're able to secure a sequel.
If they do a sequel with the current Saints, ideally I'd like to see:

Kevin's personality mature enough to at least take things a bit more seriously.

The Boss and Neenah tear down the Panteros just enough for Neenah to take control of their crew and become a subdivision of the Saints.

Eli take another mortal wound, but be stronger for it.

Tamira join the Saints as a Homie/Friend and as their official Medic, with Shady Oaks having a medical tent set up at the Church, Saints Tower, Sunshine Springs Mansion, and whichever Cribs we receive in the following DLCs for the current SR (if all those Cribs return in the sequel)

The Crew actually be recruitable in free roam, just like every previous main Saints Row game.

The return of a Zombie Homie, possibly Nahaulli, or a new recruit who is either headstrong (like Gat), or just not up to par (like Carlos).

Santo Ileso get the Stilwater treatment. Meaning the transition between SR1 & SR2. More building interiors, secret locations, Easter Egg hunts with actual payoffs (like the Cabbit hunt, not the Fork In The Road hunt), more idle animations for the Pedestrian Npcs, mini games (poker, emt, firefighter)

Last edited:
Back