SPOILERS Was this an acceptable release?

Thoughts on state of release?

• Acceptable release

• Needed some polishing

• Very unfinished

• No opinion / haven't played

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted "other" simply because it was not as expected, very buggy, and could do with a lot less of a scattered story.

So... it was very unfinished? ;)
Yes, but the story felt scattered, like a jigsaw puzzle that you've forced the wrong pieces together.

It literally felt like a TV sitcom, where each episode/mission felt completely disconnected from the previous one.

And all the Cutscenes were primarily focused on the Saints, we didn't get to see the Collective planning hiests, or Sergio plotting revenge on Neenah.

The only gang that really got any screen time was Marshall, and that's just because the Boss ran with Marshall before forming the Saints.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it for what it is and yet I feel it is incomplete. It's missing things like robbing stores, mugging people, and recruiting unnamed saints off the street.
You’ve absolutely hit the nail directly on the hammer with that one. First I want to give the game the credit it’s due: I very much love what they’ve done with the game, I love the hair styles, the many unique activities, how you can lay on top of a car and cause mayhem and I also love how some of the missions were nearly simple bonding with your friends (Taking over the church for the first time, Teaching Eli how to shoot, bonding with everyone and The Nahualli before the train heist) cause they’re more than just a gang, they’re family, but what heavily sway me away (at least for me) is the inability to recruit generic unnamed Saints off the street. Some of my best memories In Co-op happened with a nameless saint (always going down and nearly costing us a mission, but laughing nonetheless) so when I seen that the “Backup” perk was the only form of using them it not only disappointed me, but left me with so many questions as nearly every Saints Row (Gat Out of Hell not included) had that mechanic, actually this reboot had that mechanic with the last mission working with The Marshalls recruiting the feeble guards. I really really really Hope they change that because if that’s the case than the “Gang Customization” is merely a visual prop, but if they do change that I also hope they offer the feature like on SRTT having Saint Variants of enemy gangs, it would be very interesting to see a saint defeat a cop with a glow stick.

Tolerable, but not acceptable. Even Cyberpunk was in better shape, because it had interesting story.
and considering CD Projekt RED will have a ton of work to put into CyberPunk 2k77 due the massive success of the Anime... Trigger Studios did an amazing adaptation...

Here's my take on this (for what it is worth);

The game was great. I actually liked the new chars. They were like whimiscal versions of the old ones -
Kevin is a Johnny Gatt who brings the heat in the kitchen, not the battlefield
Eli is a Pearce who who makes far more sense as the 'money guy'
Neenah as a replacement to Shaundi is brilliant. She has purpose and focus and gets rid of the drug element.

I liked the challenges and most of the missions once I had figured them out. Santo Ileso is a fun place to be, even after the main mission is over because you still have things you can do out there, including re-running a lot of your side quests and even some of the criminal enterprise ones.

They've moved away from the super power / virtual world / visiting hell side of things which is outstanding, while keeping the best of those parts - the flow moves and the wingsuit.

It's not GTA, and it's not really the old SR version <any>. It's a game with its own style and I liked it for that.

I like that there are things to do in the city after you've finished the final missions, and you get a good enough cash flow that you can trick out a car or two and then dump them every once in a while, but to my mind there are 2x things that AT A MINIMUM have to be added to make it easier to play;

1) insta-warp to criminal enterprises. I know, this could be controversial, but when you're mopping up the last of your side things, having that level of granularity in your warping to location just makes sense. More warp locations in the deep desert would be nice but not necessary. But to your enterprise buildings? It really should be there.

2) New Game + function. I know SR is not an RPG, but you do build your weapons cache, your garage, your wardrobe, etc. as you go. There should really be the ability to start a new campaign with an old boss, complete with their cash, cars, weapons and wardrobe. It just makes sense and I'm not sure why that has always had to be a save game editor or a mod until now. Ideally, you'd keep your challenges status and your side quest history as well, but we may have to save that for the tools and editors. :)

BUT...

The game is glitchy and buggy as all getup. It's bad. I mean frustratingly, infuriatingly bad. I couldn't even launch it for the first week because of the DX12 issue, then when I do get to play it, random bugs just appear. Always a different one too, but it really detracted from the game.

I hate to say it, but they have a memory overrun issue somewhere in their code. I don't know where it is, and I'm seeing some compelling evidence to say they don't either, but after you play a mission (usually the first one you play in a session), things start glitching. Some of the things I've seen are;

1) side jobs (like threats) don't reset the objectives popup box. So, you don't know if you're hunting a police van, a gang, drones or what until you start getting shot at.

2) things start disappearing off the map. I still have things that have disappeared off the map permanently. Perhaps I've hit a button to hide some stuff but I don't think so

3) trigger points go missing, like the garage. Sometimes it's just invisible, other times it won't work and you can't load new cars (or take out others)

4) Enterprise map goes missing. I kid you not. All the colours and 'hand drawn' circles are there, but the map isn't. you're staring at a wooden table background.

5) weapons can no longer be swapped around, or they are facing in the wrong angle so don't actually attack anyone.

There are others, but these are the main ones I've observed over time. Personally, it looks random which makes me think memory overrun on one of their C++ variables, but I digress.

I voted 'needed some polish'. I like the game, but it is not implemented with the same level of technical excellence I see in other games. Sure, one can talk about No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk here, but I'd point out that NMS is a very small development house (single person IIRC) and Cyberpunk got some serious criticism on launch because of the bugs. I think that needs to be remembered.

Back