Audio not working when XWB files are modified?

Hi there,

So I have been editing the XWB files to add custom music to the game. I can get everything working from extracting it using SR2Soundtools to XACT to repack the XWB file with all the edited Waves. But when I rebuild my vpp file it just doesn't work. Like the files are missing or something.

Am I overlooking a setting or missing a file to edit or something? Anyone encountered and fixed this issue?

But when I rebuild my vpp file it just doesn't work. Like the files are missing or something.
You mean the VPP_PC file fail to rebuild or the [added] music's not working in-game?

If it's the latter then that happened with me as well trying to add a new/custom song to a radio station -- and not by replacing the available one. If it's the former then I get to make it worked by using SR2 MOD Manager. Can let you know how if that's the matter.

You mean the VPP_PC file fail to rebuild or the [added] music's not working in-game?

If the latter then that happened with me as well trying to add a new/custom song to a radio station -- and not by replacing the available one. If the former then I had it worked by using SR2 MOD Manager. Can let you know how if that's the matter.
Yes I mean VPP_PC. The file builds just fine using the tools. I basically replaced the Audio file with a different audio file but kept the same name as the vanilla one.

And yes I mean the latter. Basically, I added a new song and then all of the music just stopped working.

...I added a new song and then all of the music just stopped working.
Hmm, alright -- I'm going to try replacing the current one and let you know how my attempt goes.

I assumed that the game simply can't read newly added song/s and can only read those that replaces the available one. What happened on my attempt was the custom song I added went silent, while the original play just fine -- although I had modified music.XTBL and radio_groups.XTBL to fit the change, but that only far my knowledge goes on what to be dealt with.

Edit: I had replaced one of the original song with a custom and it works in-game, @frag. Are you following to this tutorial?

Last edited:
Hmm, alright -- I'm going to try replacing the current one and let you know how my attempt goes.

I assumed that the game simply can't read newly added song/s and can only read those that replaces the available one. What happened on my attempt was the custom song I added went silent, while the original play just fine -- although I had modified music.XTBL and radio_groups.XTBL to fit the change, but that only far my knowledge goes on what to be dealt with.

Edit: I had replaced one of the original song with a custom and it works in-game, @frag. Are you following to this tutorial?
Yes I am not sure why it is happening

Alright, guess you have to keep working on it -- 'cause apparently when doing it right, it works.

Just make sure to get these points done well --
8. In bottom window rename your bank to MUS MIX and set Type to Streaming (it's very importmant)
9. Now go to Compression Presest tab and create new. You can name it like SR2
10. Now select needed compression type (ADPCM is recomended!)
10.2. ADPCM (SET Samples Per Block to 512!) - good compression. Not affect in music quality
11. Return to MUS MIX tab and set Compresion Preset to SR2 (or what you create)

-- and in case you didn't know you can/should have that MUS MIX to fit your setup; like I use MUS EZZZY 'cause I was editing EZZZY FM's and looking to replace MUS EZZZY.XWB as well.

Back