Import boss from SR4 to GOOH

I haven't played Gat out of Hell in ages .
Anyone remember if it's possible to play as a female P.C ?
Like this:
HcrjJAY.jpg

I don't have SR3 OR SR4 installed ,is there a simple way to start with a character that looks similar to the above?

Anyone remember if it's possible to play as a female P.C ?
Use Minimaul and Erza Scarlet's Saints Row IV clothing in Gat out of Hell mod. I used it to import my female character from SR4. Works great, and includes customization!
(note: I haven't used it since the SR4 workshop update, which broke import compatibility, so if you haven't previously imported your character from SR4 it may no-longer be possible. But I think the mod enables character customization in Gat Out of Hell, so you can always rebuild your character)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Quantum ,i'll check it out.
I think i have an old copy of SR4 zipped up somewhere ,so if what you say is true i might be able to use my old game copy .
This workshop thing is really starting to P me off with a lot of games recently.
I wish devs and certain companies would just stick to making or selling good games that work and leave the mods alone (well ,stop trying to put up various gateways to mod downloads).

Last edited:
I know its a quite "old" topic but did anyone manage to find out why the voice is pitched when converting the file manually or with the programm from Thief?

Hello, sorry for posting in such an old thread, but I was hoping someone could help me.

I've been trying to use Thiev solutions to import my SR4 boss, I've tried both his applications actually. However in both cases, when I boot GOOH and try to continue, it says the save file is corrupted. That's when I'm using his apps in post 25.

I've also tried to make the changes directly with HxD, as explained in post 27. I've followed the steps to the letter, but it doesn't import my boss; when I select continue, the cutscene does restart, but still with the default male boss.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
I used the 1.4 of Thievs Programm. For me all worked fine except that the pitch of Female 1 voice was too high.
For converting I had several errors as well but that was because I didnt type in all exactly as it should have been. When I did correctly, all was good.
Maybe you load the file again in SR4 and move to a different spot so it gets saved again?

As I said, none of his programs work for me. I get corrupted error messages when trying to load the save in game, so it's not about getting saved again.
As for doing it manually, the point is as explained in post 27 that you should see your custom boss in the first cutscene if done correctly, but I still get the default boss. Since it's the first cutscene, before even being in Hell, there is no save point.

For the manual way i grabbed the default save which was in the package. There I added my value and then copied it to the folder where the savegames usually are. When I started the game, I had to select continue and the game started with "almost" my boss but still the voice was pitched.

Actually, I managed to import my Boss from SR4 save manually to GOOH, similar to how SR3 -> SR4 character could be copied by hex editing.
I created a simple Powershell (Win7+) script to make the process easier and hopefully it will be of use to others - it works for me but more testers are welcome :)
I'm posting it here, as this thread is one of the first when googling this issue and I apologize beforehand if I should create a new thread instead.

2017-08-23 UPDATE
For anyone experiencing problems with Powershell script: I made a standalone application version (in python via PyInstaller, hance the size). Maybe it will work better from some. Works For Me™, but then I didn't have issues with Powershell either ;)
It works in a similar way, except there are no GUI prompts for paths and these have to be pasted or typed manually. Script source (.py) is included in the archive so you can see for yourself what is being done.

Contents of SR34_GOOH_BossImportScript.zip:
- run_import_script.bat ### simple wrapper that allows PowerShell script to run without changing default user policy <- double-click it to run the import
- import_clean.ps1 ### main PowerShell file - you don't need to run it manually, use .bat instead; you can open it in Notepad to see that nothing malicious is included :)
- srgsave_00.srgs_pcDEFAULT ### default (empty) GOOH file; if you want to start new GOOH game instead of modifying an existing save it will be used to create fresh autosave
- .\OUT ### folder where your modified file will appear, if all goes well
- .\TEMP ### folder for temporary files, created during script and deleted at the end

How to use:
00. Backup your original saves. Always. Always. ALWAYS. You are modifying them at your own risk.
01. Download .zip archive and unpack it somewhere, it doesn't have to be game folder. You should now have 'SR34_GOOH_BossImportScript' folder with all files mentioned above.
02. double-click run_import_script.bat (it might require admin rights on Windows 10)
03. First popup window will appear, asking for a path to save you want to import your Boss FROM. Paste the whole path to your save and click OK
example: "e:\Steam\userdata\<userid>\206420\remote\sr4save_autosave.sr4s_pc" (sans quotes)
04. Second popup window will ask you for a path to GOOH save you want to import your Boss TO. You can leave it empty and then a fresh autosave will be created with your Boss (that's the safest option)
05. After a few second you should have a fresh, shiny srgsave_00.srgs_pc file with your Boss imported in <scriptFolder>\Out\
06. [forSteam] Copy "<scriptFolder>\Out\srgsave_00.srgs_pc" to "<SteamFolder>\userdata\<userid>\206420\remote\"
06. [forGOG] Copy "<scriptFolder>\Out\srgsave_00.srgs_pc" to "<gameInstallFolder>\_saves\"
07. [forSteam] Restart Steam Client, otherwise game might not read newly added files
08. Start GOOH and click 'Continue' - modified save should load with imported Boss

Notes:
- GOG version is currently untested but 'should work'
- I tested import from SR3, SR4 (old fomat) and SR4 (new format) to fresh GOOH game
- while it is possible to modify an existing GOOH save and have no idea if everything will be working correctly, as I'm only starting the game now and don't have any in-progress saves to test on
- if after clicking continue you have a strange purple lady instead of your Boss, something went wrong and default file used as a base for fresh copy was left unmodified. This should not happen but let me know if it does

TROUBLESHOOTING:
- if you're getting any errors, try copying your TO & FROM saves to script directory first and run .cmd again (with admin rights), passing these local paths instead of original ones (in Program Files etc.)

As I wrote at the very beginning, it was done for personal use and I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone but I will try to help if any problems appear. I can also post a manual way of doing the import if someone wants it, but it will be an even greater wall of text :)

...Hell of a first forum post :D

EDIT:
-version 1.05p: added additional version (python-standalone app) that might work better for some
-version 1.04: added workaround for GOOH saves that don't have Boss entry at all
-version 1.03f: fixed. rootPath. typo. -_-
-version 1.03: fixed rootPath typo
-version 1.02: removed debug lines / test leftovers
- version 1.01: replaced rootPath check with something more reliable

Works perfectly in GOG version, thank you so much for this tool, I would never play Gat Out of Hell without my character, even if it was only a cameo.

Thanks :) That's exactly what's going on there, explained with more detail below.

Here is the promised manual way of importing your Boss between saves. With pictures :p Theoretically, it should work from any save to any save between all formats [SR3 / SR4 / GOOH] as character block is always the same length, but some customization options (like clothing) might be lost. It also serves as an explanation what's going on in the script posted above.

NOTE1: Import is done by hex editing your file - any Hex Editor will do. Personally I'm using a portable version of HxD

NOTE2: It is based on information found by mrturkleton over in -> this thread <-.

NOTE3: If you want to start a new GOOH game with your Boss present in the first cutscene, start new game, skip through intro to the moment Gat & Kinzie land in hell ('Saving...' spinner should appear in the left corner) and quit the game. Brand new srgsave_00.srgs_pc should appear in your save location. Import your Boss to this file, run the game again and after choosing 'Continue' intro should play again but with your customized character.

STEPS:
Backup your saves. ALWAYS.
01. Open the file you want to import FROM in hex editor (Ctrl-O) [PIC]
02. Search for a HEX pattern: 6E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 3F (Ctrl-F) [PIC]
03. There should be exactly one hit in SR3 / SR4 save and two hits in GOOH. If there are more this might not work. In HxD you can press F3 or go to 'Search->Find Again' to make sure no more patterns exist.
:: If importing from GOOH save, use SECOND hit and ignore the first! ::
04. Position your cursor at the beginning of the block you just found (6E value), right-click it and choose 'Select block' [PIC]
05. Select length of exactly 8804 bytes (decimal) / 2264 (hexadecimal) [PIC]
06. Copy the whole highlighted block to clipboard (Ctrl-C) [PIC]
07. Open a save you want to import your character TO
08. Repeat steps 00 - 05.
:: Again, if importing to GOOH use SECOND hit as a base for highlight. If you incidentally overwrite the first one, you will probably break your save! ::
Make sure that length of highlighted block in this save matches the length of the previous one (8804 dec / 2264 hex) [PIC]
10. Paste the block you copied previously in Step 06 (Ctrl-V)
11. The whole highlighted block should turn red (in HxD) and you will get a *modified* flag at the bottom. If you see a warning about modifying file size, CANCEL the procedure - it means that blocks vary in length and this should not happen if everything was selected correctly in .05 [PIC]
12. Save your new file.
13. (optionally for Steam) Restart Steam Client - because the whole saving functionality is handled by Steam and not the game itself, when adding new files they might not be visible in-game without client restart.

Since I used your tool for importing my Boss from SRIV to GOOH, I haven't needed the manual method, for me that I'm a GOG user, I have no alternative for the "My Steelport Emulator", then the manual method is useful for making backup of my Boss, that way I can make another characters and still have my main Boss to load anytime. ^^

Last edited:
Actually, I managed to import my Boss from SR4 save manually to GOOH, similar to how SR3 -> SR4 character could be copied by hex editing.
I created a simple Powershell (Win7+) script to make the process easier and hopefully it will be of use to others - it works for me but more testers are welcome :)
I'm posting it here, as this thread is one of the first when googling this issue and I apologize beforehand if I should create a new thread instead.

2017-08-23 UPDATE
For anyone experiencing problems with Powershell script: I made a standalone application version (in python via PyInstaller, hance the size). Maybe it will work better from some. Works For Me™, but then I didn't have issues with Powershell either ;)
It works in a similar way, except there are no GUI prompts for paths and these have to be pasted or typed manually. Script source (.py) is included in the archive so you can see for yourself what is being done.

Contents of SR34_GOOH_BossImportScript.zip:
- run_import_script.bat ### simple wrapper that allows PowerShell script to run without changing default user policy <- double-click it to run the import
- import_clean.ps1 ### main PowerShell file - you don't need to run it manually, use .bat instead; you can open it in Notepad to see that nothing malicious is included :)
- srgsave_00.srgs_pcDEFAULT ### default (empty) GOOH file; if you want to start new GOOH game instead of modifying an existing save it will be used to create fresh autosave
- .\OUT ### folder where your modified file will appear, if all goes well
- .\TEMP ### folder for temporary files, created during script and deleted at the end

How to use:
00. Backup your original saves. Always. Always. ALWAYS. You are modifying them at your own risk.
01. Download .zip archive and unpack it somewhere, it doesn't have to be game folder. You should now have 'SR34_GOOH_BossImportScript' folder with all files mentioned above.
02. double-click run_import_script.bat (it might require admin rights on Windows 10)
03. First popup window will appear, asking for a path to save you want to import your Boss FROM. Paste the whole path to your save and click OK
example: "e:\Steam\userdata\<userid>\206420\remote\sr4save_autosave.sr4s_pc" (sans quotes)
04. Second popup window will ask you for a path to GOOH save you want to import your Boss TO. You can leave it empty and then a fresh autosave will be created with your Boss (that's the safest option)
05. After a few second you should have a fresh, shiny srgsave_00.srgs_pc file with your Boss imported in <scriptFolder>\Out\
06. [forSteam] Copy "<scriptFolder>\Out\srgsave_00.srgs_pc" to "<SteamFolder>\userdata\<userid>\206420\remote\"
06. [forGOG] Copy "<scriptFolder>\Out\srgsave_00.srgs_pc" to "<gameInstallFolder>\_saves\"
07. [forSteam] Restart Steam Client, otherwise game might not read newly added files
08. Start GOOH and click 'Continue' - modified save should load with imported Boss

Notes:
- GOG version is currently untested but 'should work'
- I tested import from SR3, SR4 (old fomat) and SR4 (new format) to fresh GOOH game
- while it is possible to modify an existing GOOH save and have no idea if everything will be working correctly, as I'm only starting the game now and don't have any in-progress saves to test on
- if after clicking continue you have a strange purple lady instead of your Boss, something went wrong and default file used as a base for fresh copy was left unmodified. This should not happen but let me know if it does

TROUBLESHOOTING:
- if you're getting any errors, try copying your TO & FROM saves to script directory first and run .cmd again (with admin rights), passing these local paths instead of original ones (in Program Files etc.)

As I wrote at the very beginning, it was done for personal use and I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone but I will try to help if any problems appear. I can also post a manual way of doing the import if someone wants it, but it will be an even greater wall of text :)

...Hell of a first forum post :D

EDIT:
-version 1.05p: added additional version (python-standalone app) that might work better for some
-version 1.04: added workaround for GOOH saves that don't have Boss entry at all
-version 1.03f: fixed. rootPath. typo. -_-
-version 1.03: fixed rootPath typo
-version 1.02: removed debug lines / test leftovers
- version 1.01: replaced rootPath check with something more reliable

work almost perfect for me with exception that is any of boss voice is pitched. but its better than defaults boss. thanks for the great program

Back