Visuals & Graphics HD Textures Pack Mod

I have saints row 4, and i bought the game on steam, and all the other mods work for me except this one. got any advice?.

Take a look at the subforum you're in. This mod is for Saints Row: The Third, and not Saints Row IV.

If you don't mind doing a bit of modding work yourself you can use this mod to update SRIV.

Download this mod and use the latest version of SR3UnpackTextures to extract all the texture files.

Extract sr3_city_awld.str2_pc from sr3_city_0.vpp_pc in your SRIV packfiles\pc\cache folder. Extract the sr3_city_awld.cpeg_pc and sr3_city_awld.gpeg_pc from the sr3_city_awld.str2_pc.

Use SR3RepackTextures on the extracted sr3_city_awld.cpeg_pc file and it will update all the textures that are common between SRIV and the hi res texture mod.

Pack the cpeg and gpeg files back into sr3_city_awld.str2_pc and it should now be compatible with SRIV.

E30AD6C43A229CBB00F6409A8725B46AED2AA50D

If you're using this mod with GoS, you need to take a couple extra steps first to avoid mission replay crashing:

Open up your Gentlemen of Steelport folder, extract stream_grid.asm_pc to 'optional_mod_stuff/sr3_city_0.vpp_pc' and overwrite. Then extract sr3_city_awld.str2_pc to 'optional_mod_stuff/1-MY_EXTRA_MODS' and then create a new GoS installation. Put it in your SR3 folder and you're good to go.
If I do this with a GoS packed files installation, do I still need to install the HD Textures Pack Mod's files?

Last edited:
If I do this with a GoS packed files installation, do I still need to install the HD Textures Pack Mod's files?
GoS doesn't include the over 200 MB of textures; you still need the files from this mod.
If you don't mind doing a bit of modding work yourself you can use this mod to update SRIV.

Download this mod and use the latest version of SR3UnpackTextures to extract all the texture files.

Extract sr3_city_awld.str2_pc from sr3_city_0.vpp_pc in your SRIV packfiles\pc\cache folder. Extract the sr3_city_awld.cpeg_pc and sr3_city_awld.gpeg_pc from the sr3_city_awld.str2_pc.

Use SR3RepackTextures on the extracted sr3_city_awld.cpeg_pc file and it will update all the textures that are common between SRIV and the hi res texture mod.

Pack the cpeg and gpeg files back into sr3_city_awld.str2_pc and it should now be compatible with SRIV.

E30AD6C43A229CBB00F6409A8725B46AED2AA50D
Following your instructions w/ the latest "SR3TextureUtilities6," I get this error when repacking with the "sr3_city_awld.cpeg_pc" from SRIV: "Can't create .\alien_box_detail_d.tga.DDS for writing."

GoS doesn't include the over 200 MB of textures; you still need the files from this mod.

Following your instructions w/ the latest "SR3TextureUtilities6," I get this error when repacking with the "sr3_city_awld.cpeg_pc" from SRIV: "Can't create .\alien_box_detail_d.tga.DDS for writing."

SR3TextureUtilites7 is the latest version. (My fault, I need to update the first post in the thread with the latest version). It should get rid of the error. If a texture is missing it will keep the original texture that's in the archive.

Edit: You'll need to extract the SRIV sr3_city_awld files again as they probably got corrupted

Last edited:
I was under the impression that following shitface's instructions (as quoted below) will make GoS include the HD Textures Pack Mod's files if I create a packed files installation. Anyway, I tried installing the HD Textures Pack mod's files (after installing GoS following shitface's instructions), but the game freezes after I select a Mission Replay mission. (Same issue that is described by the post that shitface replied to.)
If you're using this mod with GoS, you need to take a couple extra steps first to avoid mission replay crashing:

Open up your Gentlemen of Steelport folder, extract stream_grid.asm_pc to 'optional_mod_stuff/sr3_city_0.vpp_pc' and overwrite. Then extract sr3_city_awld.str2_pc to 'optional_mod_stuff/1-MY_EXTRA_MODS' and then create a new GoS installation. Put it in your SR3 folder and you're good to go.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that following shitface's instructions (as quoted below) will make GoS include the HD Textures Pack Mod's files if I create a packed files installation. Anyway, I tried installing the HD Textures Pack mod's files (after installing GoS following shitface's instructions), but the game freezes after I select a Mission Replay mission. (Same issue that is described by the post that shitface replied to.)
If you follow shitface's instructions to the letter, the first step would be placing the "stream_grid.asm_pc" from the HD Textures Pack Mod into "optional_mod_stuff\sr3_city_0.vpp_pc", overwriting the stock GoS version. The .asm_pc file from the HD Textures Pack Mod is updated to work specifically with its "sr3_city_awld.str2_pc" which contains all the higher resolution textures. The next step would be to place the "sr3_city_awld.str2_pc" from the HD Textures Pack Mod into "optional_mod_stuff\1-MY_EXTRA_MODS". After this, start a new GoS installation, installing whichever mods you prefer. Mission replay from GoS contains .str2_pc files that also require "stream_grid.asm_pc", so following these steps will update that particular .asm_pc file for compatibility with both the HD Textures Pack Mod and GoS.

Again, GoS does not include the HD Textures Pack Mod (look at the file size difference); you need to download both.

SR3TextureUtilites7 is the latest version. (My fault, I need to update the first post in the thread with the latest version). It should get rid of the error. If a texture is missing it will keep the original texture that's in the archive.

Edit: You'll need to extract the SRIV sr3_city_awld files again as they probably got corrupted
Yeah I saw that v6 of the utility emptied out the .gpeg_pc file after the error; v7 works just fine though! Ah, I see Hevon is currently working on a SRIV version.

Last edited:
If you follow shitface's instructions to the letter, the first step would be placing the "stream_grid.asm_pc" from the HD Textures Pack Mod into "optional_mod_stuff\sr3_city_0.vpp_pc", overwriting the stock GoS version. The .asm_pc file from the HD Textures Pack Mod is updated to work specifically with its "sr3_city_awld.str2_pc" which contains all the higher resolution textures. The next step would be to place the "sr3_city_awld.str2_pc" from the HD Textures Pack Mod into "optional_mod_stuff\1-MY_EXTRA_MODS". After this, start a new GoS installation, installing whichever mods you prefer. Mission replay from GoS contains .str2_pc files that also require "stream_grid.asm_pc", so following these steps will update that particular .asm_pc file for compatibility with both the HD Textures Pack Mod and GoS.

Again, GoS does not include the HD Textures Pack Mod (look at the file size difference); you need to download both.
I did follow shitface's instruction to the letter (i.e. I have downloaded the HD Textures Pack Mod's files - which is required to follow those instructions) . My initial post was a reply to and an inquiry about those (quoted) instructions by shitface. I think one of us just misunderstood the other. Turns out my original GoS-HD Textures Pack Mod installation was already fine and I didn't need to separately install the HD Texture Pack Mod (what I was originally inquiring about).

I did follow shitface's instruction to the letter (i.e. I have downloaded the HD Textures Pack Mod's files - which is required to follow those instructions) . My initial post was a reply to and an inquiry about those (quoted) instructions by shitface. I think one of us just misunderstood the other. Turns out my original GoS-HD Textures Pack Mod installation was already fine and I didn't need to separately install the HD Texture Pack Mod (what I was originally inquiring about).
I totally see what you meant now. Sweet, glad things worked out.

:D sorry about the radom faces im just bored

Go be bored somewhere else then. Our forum rule specifically state not to double/triple post. Knock it off.
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/link-forums/forum-rules.30/

Forum Rules said:
DO NOT double/triple/quadruple/etc post. If you have something else to say then use the EDIT button instead of adding multiple posts in a row. There are obvious exceptions to this rule for authors of mod releases that require frequent updating, or if you are reviving an older thread with new important information.

Deleting previous posts.

Back