Release of Animation/3ds Max Tools

Hello there,

It has been a long time since i have modded a volition game, ( red faction 1 :p ), now after hearing that saints row 2/3 is going to get some proper tools for mod development i would like to know if there are any plans to give out any 3ds max sample/rig/script files for modders to use?

Great news, Jeff is on board with a lot of things I was interested in supporting! He even had many other plans that will end up being great for the community that even I wasn't aware of. Hopefully, I can get some of this stuff together in a timely manner.

Things i'm planning on:
Animation Skeletons ( 3dsmax and FBX )
Character NPC Mesh Templates ( 3dsmax and FBX )
Customization Clothing Templates ( 3dsmax and FBX )
Exporters for the following ( 3dsmax ):
Skeleton/Rig/Animation/Mesh/Morphs
Tools we use for NPC and Customization Construction ( 3dsmax )

The tools that have the least amount of Volition specific dependencies will be the easiest and first things I tackle. This is going to be a fair amount of work and documentation will be an lengthy and on-going process. I'll see what I can do. Stay Tuned!

Hey all,

I've talked to Jeff (not myself, the other Jeff, but I do talk to myself a bit too much...) and Randall about investigating what might be possible in getting more of our 3ds Max tool chain, the stuff for assets other than characters, out there. The same constraints Randall listed above (least internal hooks first, lots of work, documentation later, etc...) are all relevant for this work also.

Wow! Didn't expect that, really excited for the tools you plan to release :)

If you need somebody for testing or feedback let me know, i have been using 3ds max for some years especially for modding.

I have been waiting a long time to see some professional game tools of this current generation and i cannot thank you enough for making it happen.

What Rig System are you guys using as Base for all Characters? Still using Biped :D?

Yep, Biped indeed. We've been a tough group to transition from that but we are actively working on that aspect of animation for the future.

Question, with these tools that you are working on, will we be able to add skeletons other than bipedal? I am talking of course about attack dogs and the such. It would be awesome to be able to add dogs and cats as well as other animals. With some of the other tools you are making, I assume it would be possible to script actions and such into the animals if it is possible to make animations and skeletons for them. I am not good with the talk above, so I am not sure if it was mentioned that you can only use bipedal skeletons. If it was mentioned, I missed it.

Back