NPC behaviour and spawn mod

I'm about to download and try this mod and out of blind curiosity... I really have to wonder how it was managed to change one of the preloaders... I've been toiling for days to bring the Space guns into the main game.

I got the pony cart animations working by packing them all into preload_anim.vpp_pc. Unfortunately, this technique only seems to work for preloading files from the main game and will not work at all trying to use any dlc files.

Do you know if it's just the animations preload that limits to maingame, or is it all? This is SR3 remember, it could well arbitrarily decide some preloads work and some don't (guns would be under preload_items after all)

And if not, well, do any of the DLCs give items that can be used in the main game? (I don't have any of em). If so, that means there's a file that handles DLC preloading somewhere. If not, it may well not use a preload and just load the whole DLC pack all in one swoop.

In SR2, each mission would specify mission-specific assets to load in the cts file. For example, the Brotherhood mission bh02 has you going to the nuke plant. The bh02.lua would be the mission script and bh02.cts would have all the coordinate data, and the defined mission specific assets to load like the gieger counter weapon wesh. The cts would also have other unique things like animation, vehicles, and npcs. Anyway, there are no cts files in srtt that correspond to the missions. It is likely a binary file somewhere that contains all this data and what is loading the weapon meshes.

Most DLC files seem to be restricted in certain ways from being accessed by the main game in the common ways we normally use. All weapon based DLC meshes like the chum gun or bling shotgun are not part of the DLC archives at all. They are part of the main game files and is how they are being preloaded. Before you ask, I've already tried adding DLC meshes into the regular archives to see if they load, but the exe isn't doing anything with them if they are present there. My guess is that the game first loads/preloads all the regular assets, and is looking for certain file names. Then it loads/preloads DLC assets. How it loads the DLC is still a mystery though.

Knowing this game, baked into the exe. It has this annoying habit of ignoring some things in the files, and some files in entirety. :rolleyes:
Well, thanks for that bit of info on how it works. From what I extracted and saw, only the three story-pack DLCs are packed into DLC stuff anyways. But I may be wrong, as I don't have them I'm not sure what's in what DLC anymore and I did see some stuff in the DLC files that looked like standalone DLC pack stuff.

Apparently I need to reread though, I was finishing up asking if adding DLC content to the regular parts did work, then saw you tried that. :p
Welp, I'm out of ideas. There's no lua functions that can be told to load a specific file (or file of this name and this type) that could be used in the main lua? It probably wouldn't pay attention to the routine if it existed anyways... and unless I'm really bad at following lua, it seems there's some binary files that do a lot of stuff like activities etc.. or worse packed into the exe.

I'd poke about if I could but I don't have the DLCs so I'd never know if I succeeded anyways. I get the feeling someone with experience in tracing assembly needs to go through the exe to see the load chain.. but it'd probably have to be done run-time as otherwise Steam has the whole thing encrypted...

I'd poke about if I could but I don't have the DLCs so I'd never know if I succeeded anyways. I get the feeling someone with experience in tracing assembly needs to go through the exe to see the load chain.. but it'd probably have to be done run-time as otherwise Steam has the whole thing encrypted...

It's CEG encryption as opposed to just the the standard Steam encryption Trying to do anything with the SRTT exe would be nightmarish at best. Probably not going to happen.

It's not over till it's over.

itsalive.JPG

I really didn't think it would work... but it's a 100% functional (edit: after longer inspection it turned out that it's not*) STAG rifle replacement! I'm not sure if I can share the recipe freely (since I don't have the smallest clue if it gives DLC stuff to people who don't own it) but I'm about to contact moderators about that.

* - please trust me, functionality it's the least of our problems right now.

We've kind of veered waaaaaaay off topic with all this stuff about preloading. Let's keep the discussion in this thread focused on the mod itself from this point on.

I think a new thread regarding preloading is probably in order after we privately discuss the mod itself and come to an agreement on how to proceed. We'll move all these posts there once it's up.

Back