any step by step guides on how to edit NPC textures?

I've modded a few games, namely New Vegas, FO3 as well as L4D2, TF2 and HL1, but saints row 3 is incredibly complicated for me, texture editing for this game seems like a foreign language, and maybe it's because I haven't been searching properly, but a week of searching and there's no real guide to NPC texture editing...

I've been messing with a few of the NPC textures lately, or at least tried to, because when I repack the str2 file after making my edits (which was really just going crazy with the eraser in GIMP lol) I can see no changes in-game.

Is there a step-by-step guide on how to make NPC textures show up in game? Thanks in advance!

You will need to edit the textures of both npc_name.str2_pc aswell as the textures of npc_name_high.str2_pc. Once done you need to manually update the asm_pc file that brings all NPC streaming data (texture, mesh, rig, etc). If I remember correctly you would need to update character_containers.asm_pc after repacking npc_name.str2_pc and npc_name_high.str2_pc.

These textures are either packed in cpeg_pc/gpeg_pc or cvbm_pc/gvbm_pc files, so once done with changing npc textures you will need to repack the cpeg/cvbm, then repack the str2, then finally update the asm.

Ahh, thanks for the help, how do I update the asm_pc files? Do I just run gameqube's asm updater after I repack everything and place the loose str2 files with the exe?

Back