SRTT/SRIV - Removing all Utility Poles, wires and non destroyable trees.

The city environment in SteelPort for SRTT and SRIV has some very well done details that include a wide variety of differant sized trees that sway in the wind and cast shadows, plus it has many utility poles with wires attached that also cast shadows, which from a visual point of view is a very nice feature.

However, from a gameplay function perspective, they can sometimes unfortunately create a negative gameplay experience just by simply being in the way or blocking your view or line of sight from what could be a good sniper spot if only some tree or pole was not there.

During gameplay, have you ever thought to yourself, 'this would be better if this tree ( or utilty pole or wire ) was not there'.

It would probably be safe to say that removing specific trees or poles from certain locations is much more difficult and time consuming because it involves exact world coordinates and locations for each individual tree or pole you want removed and it would most likely be much easier to remove all of the trees and poles.

Editing the world geometries or objects such as changing or replacing, moving or adding more objects is probably much more involved and complex, where as just simply deleting or removing objects from the world especially entire groups such as all the non destroyable trees and all the utility poles with their attached wires would be less complex.

With all of the non destroyable trees and all of the utility poles with thier attached wires removed, the game engine would now have a lot less work to do and no longer has to render all those geometries, animations and shaders.

It would be very good if the SDK included the tools that can simply remove these objects and open up and broaden the gameplay possibilites for thousands of Saints Row players.

0utilitypoles1.png

Please let us know if the SDK could do this.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Champion of late replies here.

Who would want to use a sniper with a draw distance this short anyways...
Also, I think the mesh quality of those poles do matter on how hard it is for the engine to render them. Honestly, I think there are way more memory consuming things in the game than just those poles, wires and trees.
However, let's discuss.

Champion of late replies here.

Who would want to use a sniper with a draw distance this short anyways....

I agree, using a sniper rifle at short target range would probably not be very challenging but think of all the fun and the additional long range targets that would be available if all those trees and poles were not in the way.

Also, I think the mesh quality of those poles do matter on how hard it is for the engine to render them. Honestly, I think there are way more memory consuming things in the game than just those poles, wires and trees.
However, let's discuss.

That's true, there are many static objects throughout the world that have a higher polygon count that require more rendering memory.

My main point here is that I have noticed that most of the time they are just in the way and if there was a way to simply remove them it would open up and broaden the gameplay possibilities and hopefully Volition can shed some light on this subject.

Thank you.

I agree, using a sniper rifle at short target range would probably not be very challenging but think of all the fun and the additional long range targets.
Thank you.
Miku Hatsune meant that the games draw distance is way too short to snipe.
Those thingies wouldn't help you sniping on long range, because those ped's dont get drawn.

Exactly. NPCs don't get drawn far away enough to use a sniper, if you want to snipe in Saints Row 3 and 4, you can aswell use a pistol or rifle, as these guns barely have any spread and recoil in the vanilla game, in the playa's hands at least.

Now an opinion more being a matter of taste: I don't really mind those poles and wires, I think they fit perfectly into the overly messy city that is SteelPort.

Back