Graphic artifacting during missions

This just started happeningh after I had played the game more than 40 hours and was doing that loyalty mission at the Genki bowl with Johnny Gat. The screen would suddenly turn to colored static at certain spots, then revert back to normal. Everything was fine again until I got to the Keymaster mission, when artifacting would start every time I hit the area with CID and Stoner Shaundi to disable those nodes. Fields of little black squares with white dots in them would flash along building and in the middle of the screen. Full pixelation of the screen would happen at specific spots in the second part of the final mission. None of this happens outside of a mission. I'll run to the same spot where it happened in-mission and it's fine. Running on an I5 with a 670, last September's drivers. I might update to the latest. Verified the data cache on Steam. Might reinstall the game, but any other suggestions?

Those aren't artifacts, that's the ASCII "glitch" effect.

It's part of the game.

There's even a cheat for it. Type "ascii" into the cheats menu on your phone and turn it on.

So it really is a game bug. It happens intermittently during some missions with no rhyme or reason, it adds no value to the game, and makes it visually distracting. Mostly it doesn't cover the whole screen, just flashes in an out.

It's a way to represent the instability of the simulation, it's not a bug if it was put into the game deliberately

If you listened to what the characters were saying, maybe you'd understand why it's there

Hmmm...I just watched the mission on you tube, ok so it's intentional. I think it was a really bad idea though how they did it, it just makes the game look crappy, not that you're seeing the simulation becoming unstable.

Last edited:
It's a game blatantly ran inside a game, it's supposed to look crappy.

The fact that it made you think it's an artifact is exactly what it's supposed to do. More or less.

Back